computer for my son

Status
Not open for further replies.

lareid

Solid State Member
Hi,
I'm looking to build a gaming computer for my son as a b'day present (he'll be 13). He plays Battlefield 1942, Sims2, Command&Conquer...and wants to play Battlefield2, Doom3, Call of Duty 2. I have never built before and just browsed through this forum. Does this sound right / will it all work well together? Is there anything else I need? It would be nice if it is quiet, too - is that a concern with my choices?

Monitor, keyboard and speakers aren't necessary. My intent is to make certain he can play the games he likes and have room to upgrade, I do not need "the best" and it will only be for games, simple school work and some web surfing.

-1 Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-1 DFI nF4 SLI Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
-1 ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply
-1 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX
-1 OCZ Titanium Edition 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCTE-K
-1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3160827AS-RK 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive -
-1 NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM
-1 Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card -
-1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
-1 Microsoft Windows XP Home with SP2 - Retail
-eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail Model #: 256-P2-N376-AX

Thanks in advance-

Sir I don't see a video card in there. I am pretty blind and am not very good at finding things so im sorry if i just missed it.

If you aren't trying to get the best of the best, you can get a Nvidia 6800 Gt and that will run fine for all those games.

As far as I know BF2 is most demanding out of those games.
And that setup will run it fine.

If I may make a suggestion...
Get another Gig of Ram. 2 Gb is the best right now.

Couple of things...yea, get a video card. Thats kind of necessary. if your son wants the absolute best of the best graphics, buy him a GeForce 7800 GTX. Also, get a second gigabyte of RAM, as it is necessity for high settings in newer games. Also, i would switch the mobo to the DFI Lanparty nForce4 Ultra-D...the lanparty series is better than the Infinitey IMO

Yes a video card would be nice. An Evga 6800GT would be nice if you got the money. Also you don't need an SLI board really. Id save money if I were you and get a DFI LANPARTY nf4 ULTRA-D. Never heard of that power supply, but I know OCZ and Antec make good ones......Not saying the one you picked isn't good, I just have never heard of it before. Other than that it looks good to me, although like that one guy said 2gigs might be good although I think thats for mmorpgs......I could be wrong.

EDIT: so 2 gigs is whats good for games now? is it better to have 2*1g or 4*512mb? i dont mean to hijack the thread or anything, but he may have a similiar question to mine.

I forgot to put the video card down-I'm the one who is blind! I've corrected that - Is the Geforce 6800 Gt OK for BF2 for now? I will go ahead and increase the RAM and will go with the Lanparty series.

I really appreciate the advice!

-L

Well aside from point #1 of your spoiling him tooo much

7800GT is basicly same price as 6800GT and more powerful.
DFI Lanparty is the way to go
The current PSU is fine
2 gigs of ram is better.

And 2x 1 gig sticks is better than 4x 12

I believe these are the suggested changes - since I am known to go momentarily blind, feel free to tell me if I messed up:

(2)OCZ Titanium 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELTE - Retail

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N537-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card with Battlefield 2 full version -

It would be spoiling...but, he really, really, really likes this stuff! And, he's a great kid.

Thank you guys so very much for your quick responses and this forum. If my changes are correct, I will order and build. I'll know where to go if (when?) I get stuck. Maybe next year my son will build one for me ;-)

-L

The DIF Ultra-D was the suggested board, but the SLI-DR is the best if you plan to SLI later.

wish my dad whould by me a computer that good :p i have to waste $2000 of my own money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom