4gb of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAVOC2k5 said:
USE 2GIG as your System Ram... Then Mount the other 2 GIGS of RAM as a Drive. Use that drive for your paging file. There is a very nice performance boost. Current RAM modules are a hell of a lot faster then HDD's. Windows loves to use the swap file... Why not incease that speed???

Right on, the harddrive is far and away the biggest bottleneck in high-end computers. I have no clue how to do what you are saying though. :eek:

uzi9mm said:
he is talking about using that extra 2gigs as a RAMDISK.

I think we have a case of miscommunication. I know WHAT he's saying, I just don't know HOW to do it. :)

uzi9mm said:

LoL - yes, sorry, A RAMDISK. I thought people would know what I was talking about when I said, "Mounting the RAM as a drive."

At this point the only thing you can really do with a RAMDISK is use it for your paging file. You can't use it for anything else really because as soon as you turn off your PC, you'll lose all the data on the drive. Like I said before, "Windows XP loves to use the paging file." Even if you have 4GIG'S it's still going to try to page, that's what it's programmed to do. That's because 99.9% of windows XP users won't have 4GIGS. So if you do have it, it won't be used. So why not satisfy XP and use all your RAM? DDR is currently over 1000 times faster then even a 15,000RPM HDD. So you tell me what kind of performance increase you'll get from setting up a 2GIG RAMDISK and setting your paging file to reside on that Disk.

Gigabyte has designed a PCI card that holds up to 4GIG of DDR. It also has a battery that recharges while the PC is on. THen when it's off, the battery continues to power the DDR so it will retain the DATA. Might be a nice idea, but PC's now adays are rather lacking in extra PCI slots.

IF they designed it for PCI Express 1X it might be much better.

So is it worth it for me to set up my extra 2 GB of memory using this? Or am I better off just yanking the 2 GB out and selling it?

jowens said:
So is it worth it for me to set up my extra 2 GB of memory using this? Or am I better off just yanking the 2 GB out and selling it?

RAMdisk would be sort of cool to try out but i think where the technology is right now selling the RAM and having some extra money would be sort of cooler. :)

jowens said:

If you currently have 4GIG - (4x1GIG) DDR - You should at least try out the RAMDISK option. There is a nice performance increase. IT won't change your computer 10 fold, but it's a nice boost. Try it. I believe you can get free software to set it up. Then if you decide it's not that good or need the money, just disable it and sell the ram....

But, I can bet that once you set it up and find that you can switch back and forth from 5 or 6 large programs without a pause or a delay, you;ll like the RAMDISK paging file.

Here is a pic of gigabytes solution:
i-ram-top.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom