Beginner Setup. Opinions from the experienced, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Looking at this setup. I'm trying to stop going in circles, I keep seeing things and wondering "Hmmm, is this a better choice?"

MSI AMD MOTHERBOARD

63 dollars.

AMD Processor

75 dollars.

RAM

90 dollars.

The Case

20 dollars.

Now, I'm confused over three things.

ONE: Should I get a case without a power supply, then buy a separate one? Or are the power supplies that come with cases pretty nice? For some reason I just had to ask this, I wasn't sure if they were as great of quality.

TWO: How important is the FSB? I noticed I could get a slightly faster processor with more cache (512 kb versus the one I listed as 256 kb) but instead of having 800 fsb it's down to 400 or 333 or something. Should I go with the higher FSB/lower cache one like I listed? Or go elsewhere?

THREE: If I do buy a separate power supply, how high of wattage should I get? I have no clue!

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. :)

1. Buy a case without a PSU, buy a separate one they are better, look at the following brand names, antec, OCZ, Enermax, forton source, PC Power and cooling.

2. the processer you choose will be fine, Cache just means how much data can be held in a waiting stage, Id go for the higher FSb.

3. For you computer I suggest at least a 450 watt PSU, thats to allow for upgrades.

everything else looks good.

Ste, is there another processor (AMD Sempron 64) that you'd choose which has a happier median between FSB and cache? I'm trying to limit the processor to 100 bucks or less... That one I chose was 75. Or would you just go with that one?

How's this power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817192001

Are power supplies pretty much universal as far as what case they fit into? What in the case settings should I look for to make sure it'll fit?

edit: This doesn't make sense to me. Is cache even important the slightest bit? Only 2 or 3 of these 64 bit AMD Sempron processors have anything more than 128kb of cache. Can someone enlighten me a bit here?

Jayce said:

edit: This doesn't make sense to me. Is cache even important the slightest bit? Only 2 or 3 of these 64 bit AMD Sempron processors have anything more than 128kb of cache. Can someone enlighten me a bit here?

The cache is very important, it's extremely fast memory, not like the sticks of memory on your mobo.

I couldn't agree more on the processor. That's why I bought mine! It's the BEST bang for the buck.

Motherboard is compatible. I think may people will steer you away from it and suggest maybe gigabyte... I bought the $72 ECS motherboard, and am very, very pleased with it.

Ryan

After I piece everything together, then what do I do? Do I have to run some scans in the bios or something so each part properly communicates with one another? Or do I just install the operating system, install the drivers, and grab a beer?

I made some alterations, I think.

AMD Athlon 64 processor

ASRock Mobo

Someone convinced me to go with the 939 socket, so I started looking around. That processor is the cheapest/best bang for the buck I could find on newegg. The mobo was also strongly suggested to me with that processor. What do you folks think of projected setup # 2?

That asrock mboard is good cause it supports both agp and pci-e video cards, I think its one of the only few that do. Definately go 939 socket if you can afford it! That set it up is fine. You could have used the search function of this forum and come to that processor conclusion very quickly. It is the best bang for the buck processor out there.

I did use the search function, despite the fact I learned a LOT of stuff, I still had a lot of remaining questions and unsure thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom