Bizzarre CPU Fan problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
For a while now I've been trying to identify the source of an irritating high pitched whining noise from inside my case. After swapping out my Antec PSU for a Seasonic one I have now found the culprit to me my Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 CPU Fan. What is causing the noise is the fan blowing air onto the silver fins above it, creating a windy, whistling-like noise. Here's a pic of the Freezer 64 to better illustrate what I mean:-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...R64 ACFZ64 80mm Ceramic Cooling Fan/Heatsink

When I push those 2 black things on the fan holder ever so slightly, the noise stops completely. I've had the fan off, and have tried tightening the screws etc all to no avail. I thought about tieing the 2 black arms together to create enough tension to stop the noise but don't know what material to use for it. My latest idea is to have something covering the fins above the fan altogether. I tried sliding a thin bank card under there and it worked perfectly - no noise. Should I do something like this? I mean it doesn't affect the airflow as the fan blows at the CPU and around the rest of the case. All help much appreciated. :)

I've been told covering those fins in anyway will cause heat problems as it will prevent it dissipating the heat. Is this true?

The only other thing I can do is tie the 2 black arms of the fan holder together to create enough pressure to stop the whining. Not sure how I would do that though.

It sounds to me like that HS&FAN is just poorly made and is uneven somewhere causing a nasty vibration.

Dude, if you have $80.00 to spare... Hook your self up with the Zalman 9500LED HS&FAN. I just got mine today from newegg.com and this thing is freakin' cool... I haven't installed it yet, but i'm dying too..

after doing some research on that product, it says as one of the feature, "Extremely quiet." It also has a 6 year warranty. Contact AC and tell them you want a new one.... put the phone next to the fan and let them listen to their humming HS$FAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom