CHIP fan malfunction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
Alright :angry: So I turn my computer on, then during the boot process this comes up: ***Warning: Your Computer CHIP Fan Fail (sic) or speed too low***
:eek: What are the immediate steps I need to take? Should I get off this computer? Is it major...damn I know nothing of hardware. I don't even completey understand what it means.

Yes you should power down your pc, take the side off, clean the inside of the pc, remove and replace the chip fan,,, and if it is a factory fan always a good idea to remove the heatsink, clean off the thermal paste from the chip and heatsink, add new thermal paste or gel replace heatsink and NEW fan... replace side and fire it up... should take care of it...

what motherboard are you using? Crazy that your chipset fan would fail like that, and honestly I've never seen a warning for the chipset fan speed come up...I didn't even have a fan on my nf3 board...I instead had a 60mm 6000RPM fan about 2 inches away from it blowing on it, which wasn't connected to the chipset fans 3pin connector on the motherboard so technically it'd read my chipset at 0 rpm

Motherboard is Asus A8N SLI Deluxe-NVIDIA nForce, PCI Express

is there a program I can use to check my speeds or temps?

I think the problem self-corrected:eek: but that doesn't make me feel secure at all. Things look to be running fine now, but is there some kind of diagnostic I can run? was it possible that the temp just spiked or something?

You should watch out for it.

My computer had a failing cpu fan. I only knew from the noise.
One night I left on ASUS PC Probe (it should work for your board too, try checking the ASUS site for it) which records fan RPM and temperatures.
It recorded this overnight:
Fan RPM drops to 0 at around 4am.
CPU temps exponentially go up until around 90 degrees Celcius.
Fan starts up again at like 5:45... temperature slowly falls.

Try to catch it early!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom