The Big Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostryder

Solid State Member
If you Guys can help I sure would Appriciate it!!!
I have been having Ram problems. Could not reload OS
after formatiing HD. I ran Memtest and came up with errors so I replaced the stick ran Memtest test again no problems Ran setup and I was up again. Now I get Freezes I mean no warning no nothing just like looking at a picture no mouse no keyboard no ctl+alt+dl
no nada have to hit reset to reboot. I can see everything but nothing moves.It happens offline and on the pointer is there and the background of what ever I was doing is there but ists just a still frame.Heres what I run.

AMD Duron 1.3
Msi Kt3 Ultra viakt333 chipset
Nvidia Geforce4 MX 420
256 DDR ram
60 Gig Western Digital
SBC yahoo ethernet card
Antec outside and Powesupply 300 watts
Mitsumi Floppy
Sony cd/rw 32/10/40
Viewsonic PerfectFlat A72f monitor
Windows 2000 pro OS

Well there it is
Its about 2 years old.

Now when it happens I just look at it like a Deer caught in the Headlights with my head tilted and drooling:D

Some questions:
How old is your power supply?
How well ventolated is the area around your computer?
Do you have enough fans on it?

Im thinking your power supply MAY be dying out or your computer is over heating. When the computer overheats it freezes as well. Check to see if that fan in the power supply is moving and how warm that sucker is.
I had one once that almost burned me and my friends hand off it was so hot, what did we do? Put it outside in the cold then brought it back in. Lol, the good ol newbie days.

yeah, that sounds like a heat problem. Check all your bios settings to make sure nothing is overclocked that you don't know about.

I agree

I agree with the other two, it is most likely a temperature problem.

How many fans do you have in your case?? How closed up is the case? - basically how close is everything in your case?

I just repaired a computer where this guy litteraly fried his ram becuase of the heat in his case!!! Extreme heat is horrible to a computer

Thanks for the feedback guys.
power supply is Antec its about 2years old
my bios says my chip is running at 120 F
my case is at 95 F
My memory brand the best I can make out is
Elixir 256mb 2700 DDR
I have two fans at the back door none at the front
and my pws fan is running
chip vcc is 1.77 volts
all Bios settings were set to default
except for boot sequence
I tried taking out the ethernet card
but everything still locks up
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

My Computer

I have a:

Mach Speed Viper Mother Board
nvidia2 nForce chipset
512 DDR Ram Corsair Value Slect (OC)
AMD Athlon 2600+ (1.92GHZ FSD 333mhz)
128 GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP Pro
40 GB Hard Drive
350Watts Power Supply

My Problem is my Tempature says 120 is that normal for my prossesor to be on that temp.?

That's high. My processor is 37 C, which is normal, but yours is 50 C, higher than normal. However, the max temp for your processor is 85-90 C, and the safe zone is 70 C, so I don't think CPU temp is your problem.

I want to thank everybody for all the help. Heres what happend I replaced my power supplie with a 450 watt Okia and did a complete reformat now get this loaded windows 2000 pro and guess what yup it froze. So for some ungodly reason I loaded windows XP Pro and no freeze!! I asked around and all I get is welcome to the PC world. If anybody can answer this they are a true computer GOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom