OCZ and Corsair (Difference?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
A friend of mine is debating on the RAM he wants to get. He wants to get this OCZ ram, but I"m trying to turn him off from it because I've heard of some mobo compatibility issues OCZ ram has had, yet I've never heard a whimper from people who use Corsair.

Here is his OCZ link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

Here is the Corsair I'm encouraging him to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145523

Opinons are welcome :)

Update: Forgot to post his motherboard
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

I'm personally a fan of the Corsair because of the compatibility is has with nearly every system. With that MOBO either should do however. Both are good ram modules.

One big question. I believe the new rev 2's use TCC5 chips, and those corsair chips are TCCD's.

Personally I would go with the TCCD's, even though I am sure I will get flamed for suggesting corsair *cough*Nubius*cough*.

But, if those rev. 2's are still using TCCD's, OCZ all the way. Do some looking and find out if the OCZ's are still using TCCD chips, to me that would be the deciding factor.

im pretty postitive the last time i checked that the OCZ were using TTCD chips.

anyways XMX series from corsair just ...........yeah, but they do make nice valueselect ram

OCZ hands down

Personally I would go with the TCCD's, even though I am sure I will get flamed for suggesting corsair *cough*Nubius*cough*.
**flameflameflameidiotecflameflameflame** :D

I would just hope that neweggs info is up to date and accurate...corsair might be using TCC5's too as lots of companies were supposed to be making the switch but the only way to tell for sure would be to remove the heatspreader and look.

I believe corsair uses JEDEC designed PCB and OCZ MIGHT be using brainpower which would be better, but hell, honestly not too sure these days

im pretty postitive the last time i checked that the OCZ were using TTCD chips.
no, they switched to TCC5's quite some time ago...believe it was even on their website

I would just hope that neweggs info is up to date and accurate...corsair might be using TCC5's too as lots of companies were supposed to be making the switch but the only way to tell for sure would be to remove the heatspreader and look.
Good point that Newegg might be wrong, so I decided to check and it does in fact look like they are TCCD's by the list at XS:

XMS-PC3200XL/XLPT Rev1.1 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD
XMS-PC3200XL/XLPT Rev1.2 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD ~ Brainpower PCB
They are one of these two, not sure if they are rev 1.1 or 1.2.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50010

OCZ is using Brainpower PCBs. I just bought a 2x1GB kit and they are on Brainpower PCB.

They both are fine. They both have the exact same specs and they both use TCCD chips. Get whichever one is cheaper. Now if this were me, I wouldn't get either one, I would get some high quality OCZ BH-5 RAM, oh wait, I already have that :D

I heard that OCZ is STILL USING TCCD, but only in there really high end high speed products....... But i think there stopping that like next month or something im sure there out of TCCD by now and all thats left is what was in stock.....

003 said:
They both are fine. They both have the exact same specs and they both use TCCD chips. Get whichever one is cheaper. Now if this were me, I wouldn't get either one, I would get some high quality OCZ BH-5 RAM, oh wait, I already have that :D
Read above, the Rev. 2's are using TCC5's now.

I like the BH-5's, but they don't typically clock as high as TCCD's, however, they can do 250 or so at rediculously tight timings. But the other thing about BH-5's, is you better have a DFI board or a DDR booster because you will need like 3.4 volts to make then dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom