NOOB network question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Apoc

Beta member
Okay to start I know absolutley nothing about networking but I was wonder ing if I could network my computer and my friends. We live about a half mile apart and have no idea on how to start a network between us can anyone help me?

Sure you can. But first, why are you wanting to network your PCs? File sharing? There might be another way than a network if this is the case. Depends on what you want to do.

-Mike

yeah we pretty much just want to file share.. Can you direct me to a website or maybe you can give me the steps to do this.

Ok, can you supply us with a little info:

Operating Systems on both PCs?
How are both of you connected to the internet? Cable, DSL, Dial Up? Are either of you using a home router/gateway?

-Mike

to file share over a long distance you both need an internet connection and set up a file or FTP server. or an easy way is get web hosting and upload your files to the host. your friend can be given a link of login access to download the files and upload also.

there are free web hosts out there. do a google search. here are some hosts that are cheap:

http://www.tech-heaven.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9773&highlight=timdorr

We both have XP professional. I have DSL and he has Cable. Both of us run through a router. All my securitys are down but his are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom