Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Astroman

Baseband Member
I cannot boot anymore! The PC fires up, the XP boot screen comes up, then it wants to scan one of my partitions for errors (it always does that, at every boot). I skip it, and then it freezes and does not continue to load. I can only access my comp thru the with out errors mode (dunno how to say it in english). I tried booting and selecting the "Last know working config" option, but still does the same... What should I do?

boot.ini (my XP is in french :( )

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP dition familiale (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=kernel1.exe

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    27.2 KB · Views: 26
Yes, I can access my desktop using Safe Mode. But I can't do aynthing such as listen to music or play games in safe mode, so I'm definitely not going to be using it everyday on safe mode.

Boot into safe mode

Go to Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Restore

Hopefully you made a recent restore point, but even if you didn't Windows will do it automatically whenver software is added or changes are made to the PC. Just follow the Wizard and restore it to a previous state.

It really sounds like you are going to need to format that Hard Drive. You might want to pull it out and slave it on another machine to pull of some data. Then reformat it and see what happens.

first, look in your eventlog, start->run-> eventvwr

look under system and applciation for a winlogon event. Look through them for finding the amount of problems checkdisk found. They should tell you everything you need to know about your disk. It's possible that you are having a problem with sectors, but we won't know unless you look. Also look for disk errors. This will indicate a problem.

also, read this site. There is a ton of info on it and looks like it might be helpful to you...
http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/i64/Anyone know how to clear the dirty bit so dfrag runs.php

I dont think your boot.ini file is correct.

Go to msconfig and click check all boot paths and see what the pop up box says. It should say "It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft Opearting systems are ok.

Is it possible to install a XP Pro english so that it replaces my current XP home french, without having to format the partition it's on?

I'm currently doing instructions mentioned in previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom