O/S for old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Saint

Solid State Member
I have an old Toshiba Portege 3010ct laptop, and I need to know which operating system would be best for it... Its specs are:
266Mhz Intel Pentium
64MB RAM
4GB HDD
I'm looking for the o/s that will have the shortest startup time and the most responsiveness... Windows XP is currently installed, but it takes forever to boot, and crawls through even the simplest processes.
Thanks in advance,
The Saint

You will be better off with a 95 or 98 running that setup.
Not a very good/stable OS but your specs are rather limited to one of these.

You can run a very limited win2000 but it will respond like your xp does.

my buddy has a laptop like that and has been running the same installation of ME for years now.

mind you, he rarley surfs the web and usues it pretty much to connect to his cd player...

you could try 2k if you wanted
but, 98se would probably be your best bet for the most compatible.

I have an HP Pavilion with an 8GB hard drive and 64MB of RAM, Pentium II.

I run XP on it and it's smoothe as butter. Granted, I have no programs on it, it's just for internet and testing software before I put it on my main PC.

The one adjustment i had to make was in the control panel > system > advanced, in performance hit the settings button.

You want to choose the Adjust for best performance option. This will change the toolbars from XP's default blue bubbly bars to the kind you get in win 98/2000.

(this tip was given to me by poster named fitzjj when I was having a similar issue several weeks ag)

I would go for 98 first edition, but you will find that with a setup like that, it is going to be slow no matter what o/s you have.

EDIT: It will also help to phone toshiba and find out what o/s your computer was disigned to use.

Well, if you're not particular to a Windows OS, I'd give a linux distro designed for older machines. Slackware or Damn Small Linux maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom