Did i fry something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade_568

Beta member
Today i was installing a firewire card and i forgot to turn my computer off while i was doing it. I accidentally touched a capacitor on the graphics card and there was a little spark. When this happened, my computer turned itself off and now it won't turn back on. Any suggestions, comments, concers, confessions are welcome.

LOL
cant say about the rest of ur computer, but ur display adapter seems to have gone to heaven?
when u turn the computer on does it not turn on at all? or does the display only remain blank?:D

Fry the PC

From the sounds of it I would certainly agree that something blew, but before u get rid of that graphics card, u should perform a couple of tests.

1) First of all, check your Power Supply. What is the max wattage located on the box? It is possible that u may of burnt it out by attempting to power too many devices. But that is very unlikely.

2) Reset the BIOS. You should have a jumper setting (normaly located near the bottom of the mother board). The jumper should cover 2 out of 3 pins. Pull it out, place it over the opposite pin. (Look for the title: CMOS RESET or BIOS RESET). Once the jumper is in the reset position, the pc will NOT power on. Simply pull it out, and return it to its original location.

3) If those don't work, try replacing your current graphics card with another one (if u have one lying around). After reseting the CMOS/BIOS, you may have to change the primary display setting from PCI to AGP or vice versa. This setting can be located in the BIOS. The majority of settings will have been reseted.

*** If u haven't had any luck so far, let me know via email or post again, and I will attempt to help u further. Good Luck!!

i would just test each component in another computer to see whats damaged right after i test another power supply in the fried computer. i have heard it is not smart to test or reuse known damage parts as it can damge the computer you test it on.

if you have a crappy old computer that is dispensable i would test using that. just so you are warned, i'm not sure what kind of risk you might be taking.

If nothing happens when you turn on the comp than it sounds like a PSU problem. Try that first. If it's not that, it is definitely the MoBo. Sorry man, learning experience.

maverick_teck said:
LOL
cant say about the rest of ur computer, but ur display adapter seems to have gone to heaven?
when u turn the computer on does it not turn on at all? or does the display only remain blank?:D

I would not write off the video card first before disconnecting the power supply. What I would do in the instance is :-

1. Disconnect the power supply from motherboard and parts.
2. Press the on button a few times.
3. Reconnect power supply.
4. Try turning on computer.

If that still fails, try another power supply.

If that still fails, then I start chopping and changing parts to see what is dead,

To test the Power Supply, first disconnect all the cables from all the peripherals (hdd, cd-rom, fdd, mb, a.s.o.), then use a wire to connect the green wire on the connector for the MB to a black wire on the same connector. Plug the power supply to main ac, and see if the fan spins. If it spins, then use a multimeter to check the voltages on the other wires. If the voltages are ok, you should start worrying about other things.
Start the mb with nothing else but cpu and heatsink, no mem, no video or other cards.
You should hear long repeating beeps in the speaker., meaning there is no memory installed. If you don't hear them , reset the BIOS and try again. If you still don't hear them it should be the MB that is broken.
If you hear the sound, then put in the memory, but no video,
Turn on the computer, now you should hear a long beep, followed by three short ones. That means there is no video adapter installed.
Then put in the video card. If it beeps, it should be a problem with the video. then check the others.
I've had no-starts because of a fryed video adapter or a fryed network card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom