Installation Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezysk

In Runtime
Has anyone ever come across a window message error, vaguely saying: "UNABLE TO FIND A RESOURCE DLL" while attempting to install a software program??? I've searched half the web, without any luck trying to resolve this.

Yeah i have when installing Beta software. Do you know exactly what dll you are missing? By chance what are you installing that is giving you this error?

if the software you are trying to install is not built for your operating system it will return this message,

software built for WinXP will return this error if you try to install it on Win98 because Win98 will not have all the necessary dll's that WinXP does,

you may find that even if you manage to find the missing dll, that you will continue to get these messages throughout installation because there are more missing dll's,

also if the software your installing was downloaded, it may have been corrupted and the corrupted part of the file is this specific dll, the same applies to software installed from CD-ROM, there may be scrapes on the CD,

check that it is for your system, try reinstalling it or even try downloading it from a different site/location,

if you knew the name of the missing dll you could download it from a site like Dll Files, Dll Dump

I guess thats why they call it: DLL HELL There was one resource file for downloading called: odbcint.dll, but I already have that. Some have even suggested it might be a VB dll, then again a 'resource dll' could just about be ANYTHING. Here's the really weird part. The software at issue, actually WORKED, that is before I had to reformat everything. Then afterwards, I updated alot of stuff, including XP to SP2. More than likely, it probably has to do with some unidentified software conflict, or improper registry maintenance cleaning. In any event, its a REAL BUMMER fer sure!

for starters, what software is it?
What are you running? setup.exe or an MSI?
Have you looked in the eventlog to see what's is says? MSI's which most things are now, tell you everything that they encounter as a problem in the eventlog.

It's possible that you are missing some files that are associated to the installer. did you copy this from somewhere, download it, or run if from disk?

just as a reference, DLL HELL does not have anything to do with installers. It's got everything to do with the applications and the way installers worked before MSI was developed. DLL HELL is the process of fixing DLLs that are improperly registered by one application and then removed by another. Just so you know... I do this for a living...

Good luck

Its an MSI installer, and there wasn't much in the event viewer, other than saying: Installation Operation Failed. There's also an exe option installer....with the same error result of course.

try this...
let's assume that the files are in c:\temp
Open a cmd prompt, and type the following.

msiexec.exe /i C:\temp\mystery.msi /L*V C:\temp\logfile.txt

when it's done, and has errored out, post the logfile.txt so we can see it. Also, if you want help, answer our questions, as we are trying to figure this out and it's hard if you don't know all that you are dealing with. be honest, and we will be helpful.

Well I'll be DAMNED ! :shocked: I was just preparing the txt. logfile for posting as recommended, when I thought it would be simpler and easier if it had a shorter name. So I renamed the install folder and moved it to a different directory....and now I have the app installed, running and working perfectly. Incredible! I'll have to get you guys a case a beer for this one !:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom