Status
Not open for further replies.

viv5

Solid State Member
I am planning to buy a new laptop and here is its exact configuration:

Intel Celeron-M 360 -- 1.4 GHz -- 1 MB L2 Cache -- 400 MHz FSB -- 256MB RAM
Intel 915GM Chipset
3 USB Ports, 1 PS/2 Port etc.

I will be doing designing with Photoshop CS, FLASH MX, will play games, music, VS.NET, Oracle, MSSQL, Adobe Premiere etc.

Is there anything I could not do with the above configuration?

Also is there any limit to the use laptop. We run our desktops almost 20 hours a day. So can I do the same with my laptop as well?

When i asked this question:
So will I be able to use my laptop for at least 10 hours a day?

I got this answer:
A mjaor limitation on laptops: remember that the motors have different criteria from their desktops counterparts, so that 24/7 operation is NOT an option. You don't want your CPU fan to be working unless necessary, and the same holds true for the hard drive and DVD drive. This is coming from personal experience, as my Latitude's HD broke after only three months of non-stop Folding.

I am not been to contact him so I am posting his reply here for you guys to comment.

Is it really a case with laptops? Please suggest.

I don't like the look of that machine at all considering your uses. I would be much more inclined to get a centrino processor as it is better than the celeron. 256mb ram is also rather low and for design and photos I would much rather have 512 but preferably 1024mb. I doubt it will run the latest games very well as it is not a very powerful system

It's cheap that's why i am considering it.
I would mostly do coding in VS.NET, Oracle with a little bit of Photoshop and flash.

Currently I own a P-III 733Mhz, 256RAM, 133Mhz System Bus, 256 Kb L2 Cache and I am happy with its performance with Photoshop and Flash MX (though I agree that the performance is not excellent.)

But the Celeron-M laptop that I am eyeing is 1.4GHz and has 400Mhz System Bus, 1MB L2 Cache (the configuration I believe is far better than my P-III desktop) and hence I expect it to perform much better than the P-III desktop.

What's your point of view?

Well that laptop would be an improvement on your old setup. It is a basic laptop on a budget which should do the job for you. However if you are willing to save up and get a model with more RAM and better graphics then that would make a considerable difference in comparision to the performance you experience with the old machine.

In conclusion I can't get excited about the laptop you are thinking of buying but it should do the job. If I were you I would save for somethng better if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom