Massive hardware failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarGunner

Solid State Member
I have just run into the weirdest problem I have ever heard of.
Here's the story.
Powersupply (Antec TruePower 430W) randomly died on me overnight 2 months ago.
Bought new one, Antec TruePower2.0 430W, and everything was fine.
A few days ago, I took apart my computer and cleaned it, leaving some components outside the case overnight. I also switched the surge protector to a better one, not wanting a repeating of the PSU incident. The computer doesn't turn on! The HDD read light is on the whole time, but nothing else happens.
I switched power outlets, on the same surge protector, and it suddenly works.

Today I come home, and its the same HDD light situation. I switch power outlets, no help. I switched surge protectors, no help.
I decide to unplug a case fan; bingo the computer powers up with a green light, but no beep or POST or monitor signal, whatever.
I try switching video cards to a Radeon 7500, thinking it might just a missing signal. No help.
I switch powersupplies(Enermax something or other), and everything works fine.
I go back to the other powersupply(TruePower2.0), and suddenly it works too. WTF
Then I go back to my Radeon 9800, and it doesn't work.

So I got used to the fact that my loveable 9800 pro all-in-wonder is dead.
I go to reassemble the computer from which I took the Radeon 7500 and the Enermax PSU.
Suddenly, the hard-drives whine like mad, the Enermax's fan is rattling, and Windows fails to load. I have dual boot 98 and 2000, on physically different hard-drives. Neither load. All of this because I took out a video card and powersupply?

What the hell happened?
I lost my 2 best computers in under 30 minutes

Clear the CMOS then try that. TAke the battery out turn the computer on for 15 seconds. Then put it back in and see waht happens.

The batteries in either comp don't feel like coming out easily, and I'm still too shattered over what happened to try.
One of the comps does have a CMOS clear jumper, and I did try that.

All I know is that now it won't boot normally like it did before. Still no video, but it didn't check the floppy, spin up HDD, etc. I'm sure that Windows started up [before I tried this] at one point, even though I couldn't see it. I shut down with Alt+F4, and after it "shut down" my green power light was flashing and the HDD light was on. I'd say it was the CMOS jumper, but it's been so random I doubt that, since I did put it back to how it was.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try more parts with more things, so maybe I'll get something narrowed.

Sui said:
wow thats some bad luck. Were you using a anti-static strap during all this?

No, I don't have one. But static isn't a problem for me (at least, not noticeable) because it's usually pretty humid and there's lots of grounded metal around that I touch often, even when not trying.

Also, if I fried something statically, would it just stop working? Or randomly work/not work?
Because an hour ago my computer with the 9800 booted fine, or seemed to even get to Windows.
Now, without me really doing anything, it doesn't boot anymore. Just one beep, but no hard-drive or floppy read.
I have no video so I can't read what it says anyway.

Like I said, tomorrow I'll try to get more specifics.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that the computer worked for a whole day after all the re-assembly, and the case wasn't opened until it messed up the next morning after being off the whole night.

Static damage can cause either a completely non-responsive circuit or one with erratic behavior and it takes as little as 3 Volts to destroy and electrical circuit and we can only feel as little as 3,000 volts. 10,000 volts and up you will hear a "ZAP" sound and it will hurt a little. Also try using a POST PCI card and try booting without your hard drives and see what happens. A virus can cause some of the erratic behavior that your HDD have displayed. If components set out overnight and they are not on a safely grounded surface such as Anti-ESD bag or ESD preventive coated surface you could be screwed. Always wear an ESD strap. Most Computer Technician Buisnesses disregard them which is a major and ignorant and negligent mistake along with many other things. So no matter what anyone tries to say and no matter how much they argue just continue wearing some kind of ESD protection.

Thanks for the help, but my computers pulled a Lazarus. Both of them.

I went to try them again, and they both booted fine. Except the old one, which reset itself a few times, but it still works.

Even the fan rattle stopped...

Current theory: both PSU's got surged through that one outlet, and took several hours to discharge. Possible?

And I will look into some anti-static thing.

Unless you know of some local stores near Toronto Canada then I don't think it would be of much help.
Unless it's just general info, which I would appreciate.
Thanks for the offer and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom