Effects of resetting CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Hi Everybody,
As you may know I am having many problems regarding my graphics Card. I have onboard graphics and it was suggested to me to remove the card and reset the CMOS. I am wondering what reseting the CMOS will affect and if the mobo will use the onboard graphics.
Thanks

Resetting CMOS, and thus clearing your BIOS settings to a default state - will do exactly that. You'll just have to key in all your preferences again, inlcuding the opition for onboard graphics (enabled/disabled).

it will put the bios back to factory default. If your onboard graphics worked automatically, clearing the cmos shouldnt effect that.

Well, im not quite sure because i got the computer (didn't buy it from a store though) with a graphics card in it. Won't the default setting on the mobo be to use the onboard because the company doesn't know if you want to use a card? also, wouldn't the drivers from my graphics card mess it up because i haven't uninstaled them? (a little side note, I think the correct term would be BIOS, i think CMOS is just refering to the "Thing" the BIOS is stored on, I just read that somewhere, anyway)

What other Settings Does the CMOS store that will be rest? Will this change any of the logon settings? Also is there a way i can back up the current settings incase it doesn't work when i reset them?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom