What really makes a computer fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajete

In Runtime
To my knowledge there are 3 things that make a computer fast. Processor, RAM, Video Card... I'm looking into upgrading my computer this end of the year. But I wanted to get some advice on how I can make my computer run faster. Currently I have

+ 768 RAM. 512+256 (Thinkin' about buying a 1GB, BTW, is it possible to have 2 GBs? or does it damage the computer?)
+1,514Mhz Processor
+130GB hardrive.

I have a custom case, with 2 fans that keep the inside of the computer cool.

Just give tips on things I could buy that improve it performance.
Many people say its good to have a price range when buying computer hardware... Prices don't bother me, I get what i buy so just throw ideas at me.

Well, there isn't really a set hardware list that mkaes the computer faster, every piece of hardware can act as a "bottleneck" to the computer.

You might have a fast CPU, RAM, Mobo, and GFX Card, but with a 5400RPM harddrive, your loading times and access time will halt your system to a crawl. Or you could have a perfectly configured computer hardware wise, but poor computer mainteance and system cleaning can bog it down to a crawl.

These are what i would upgrade (in order) to make my system faster:
Motherboard (Because this determines ALL the other hardware you can buy.
CPU
RAM (depending on what you are doing, don't buy 2GB if you don't need it)
Video Card (this last, because gaming is not ESSENTIAL to run a computer. You can put off gaming till' last, and you will appreciate it when the rest of your hardware is good and not acting as a bottleneck.)

2GB of RAM won't damage your computer, but it certainly isn't necessary. 1GB is pretty common these days for gaming, 2GB for those who want the absolute top of the line experience. And the speed/type of the RAM is important too.

2GB wont kill your system lol.

if you have th emoney go for a new mobo. then cpu. then video card. then ram.

if you dont, i would say get a new mobo and cpu. cause 1.7 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom