4gb of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got 2 gigs, and i havent had any trouble. Helps out a lot in games like BF2 and FEAR (demo, naturally)

My mb handles the 4 GB. Windows XP is the limiting factor. However my computer runs sweet with the 4 GB. I score about 16,500 on the 3D Benchmark test. I run every game maxed and have no slow down. I agree that the 4 GB was over kill. If I could do it again I would get only 2 GB. However at the time I was designing the computer on this web site nobody informed that 4 GB was a problem.

I doubt you get any performance boosting between 4 and 2 gigs. Theres no reason to go above 2 gigs nowadays, and Windows XP recognizes up to 4, but the 64 bit edition of XP goes up to 8.

I score about 16,500 on the 3D Benchmark test.
Which 3Dmark version...if that's a '03 score your RAM is indeed causing a problem since you should be getting around 19K with your current setup

4 GIG's of RAM in a supporting system is actually very good if you put the RAM to the right use.

USE 2GIG as your System Ram... Then Mount the other 2 GIGS of RAM as a Drive. Use that drive for your paging file. There is a very nice performance boost. Current RAM modules are a hell of a lot faster then HDD's. Windows loves to use the swap file... Why not incease that speed???

Other then that, 4 GIG's is not needed.

How would I set my other 2 GB as a paging file? Might as well put the damn memory to use. I was thinking of trying to sell it to get some of my $ back if it is really useless and if it is slowing my system down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom