4gb of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottlenecks affect microprocessor performance by slowing down the flow of information back and forth from the CPU and the memory. If all of the components of a system are not able to feed the same amount of data at the same speed, a delay is created. For example, a 2GB processor will be severely bottlenecked by an 800MB memory bandwidth and visa versa.

I don't think you will need all 4Gb.
You will be fine on like 2.

It dosnt matter if there is a bottleneck, having a bottleneck dosnt slow something down, it just means that something cant keep up with the other components. And I dont think having TOO much RAM creates a bottleneck anyway, having too FAST of ram might bottleneck the CPU, but not having too much. If you had 2gb of ram running at DDR400 or 4gb of ram running at DDR400, then it makes no diffrence because its running at the same speed, you just have more.

From what I know Windows XP will never be able to recognize all 4gb of ram because its only 32bit. But Windows XP 64bit/Vista is able to utilize 4gb of ram, correct?

It does actually, the RAM becomes more fragmented and the memory controller starts to have trouble pulling stuff off it fast enough

Nothing requires 4GB of memory anyways

I have 4 GB of RAM in my new system that I built in the past 30 days. Windows recognizes 3 or 3.25 GB - I forget which one. It took me a while with my memory settings in my bios to get everything stable. But now things seem to be working well.

wow what a waste of money u dont need any more that 1.5 gigs. thats just stupid to even try to put 4 gigs in a machine. it sounds like any more that 2 can cause problems

2 gigs is the way to go. Runs in windows fine and BF2 likes it a lot better than 1 little gig. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom