DVD Drive trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv1yang

Solid State Member
I wanted to resort to this forum before I jumped the gun and bought a new dvd burner. Okay, my dvd burner is dead. I don't really know how I killed it. I was experimenting with new memory I'd just received so I had to remove the drive in order to install the memory. Somehow, I either left the power cable in without the IDE cable or vice versa while the system was still running (stupid move, I know) and then poof! My system just dies on me. Then, I remove the power cable from the mainboard and plug it back in and my system works fine again but my DVD burner doesn't work and yes, I have been trying to get it to work for hours now. Does anyone know why this happened? Or, more importantly, what to do about it? I'd appreciate any help.

Never Configure internal system components while the system is running or even still connected with the power cable. You could be screwed.

No, I didn't pull the plug while the system was on. But yeah, I pretty much am screwed because the drive won't even power on. Anyway, is there any place that you could take a drive to be repaired? Would an electrician be able to do it? Thanks again for all the help. By the way, what plugs are you talking about? The plug on the back of the drive or the plug to the mainboard?

Make sure you test the drive out on another power supply laying around if you can. If you did happen to Fry some part of the Drive you cant repair it because at that point theres no turning back sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom