c:\rename windows linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sCribes

In Runtime
Hey people, in my dos class today, someone typed this at my command prompt. Something happened. But there is no linux directory, and the windows directory is still there.

BTW these are windows 98 machines that we are running dos on in class.

Even so, that there is no linux directory, at c: if you type rename linux windows, it gives "no linux file, etc..." But if you type rename windows window, it does what it did for the rename windows linux. I hope someone is following this.

Anyway, win.com, himem.sys, dblbuff.sys, ifshlp.sys and autoexec.bat cannot be found on start up. I can boot to a command prompt, get to c: view windows, win98, etc... directories, but cannot run commands to check the registry or anything like that.

Im wondering if someone knows what happened here, or why its doing this.

I'll probably just end up reinstalling 98 on the machine, but im curious as to how that worked.

yeah, but i wasnt sure if just copying those files would work.

So i could just pop in the win98cd, boot to command prompt, and navigate around the win98 disc to find those files, copy them to the dir's.

or do i have to like run the install again, or recovery console?

running the install again would work, but you don't keep your settings
they might be in a folder called i386 on the CD, and they might have a slightly different name (the end letter of the file extension)
I say might, because that's what it is on 2000 and XP disks, although I'm not really familiar with the structure of the 98 CD

IF someone renamed the Windows folder and you have access to the command line rename the windows folder to the original name and reboot.

urf said:
IF someone renamed the Windows folder and you have access to the command line rename the windows folder to the original name and reboot.

thanks for the suggestion, but that didnt work, as there doesnt seem to be any dir named linux...like it didnt really rename it, but something happened in effect.

I dont know, its confusing...i'll be on that workstation at 10am, so hopefully i can fix it.

for anyone that cares, i was able to solve the problem.

I did the same thing on my windows98 virtual pc to try to troubleshoot it. Turns out, the reason you cant just rename the dir back to windows, is that when it boots after being changed, it creates a new windows folder, but only user preference setup is available in it, no actual system and config files init. Therefore, you must rename or del that dir, and then rename the first windows dir back to windows..lol

funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom