Desktop Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarecr0w

Beta member
I'm in proccess of buying a computer and I wanted to layout my build infront of you and get some feedback and answers, thanks in advance for any help provided =)
This desktop is primerly for gaming.
This is what I was thinking about:

Case: COOLERMASTER Cavalier 1 (350W PSU) w/ Window - Silver -- This case seems pretty nice. Good looking, tower system and includes a power supplier. My thoughts about him are wether the fans are strong enough and how's the power supplier? [costs 165$]

CPU:AMD Athlon 64 (3500+) VENICE - 512 Cache [939 PIN]- RETAIL -- This is what seemed right, I can get the 3200 for 45$ cheaper, are they worth the upgrade? [costs 318$]

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (nForce4 SLI) - ATX -- How is that for a motherboard? I was thinking, maybe it's too much for what I really need? I can get either: ASUS A8N-E - 939 (nForce4 Ultra) - ATX [85$ cheaper] OR ASUS A8N-SLI - 939 (nForce4) - ATX [22$ cheaper]. [costs 248$]

Video Card: GIGABYTE Radeon X800XL 256MB - VIVO / DVI - PCX - RETAIL -- {I can get Bulk for 7$ cheaper} This is what I chose, it seems pretty neat. Anything better for the same price-range? [costs 430$]

RAM: 2x512MB Samsung DDR PC3200/400 - Samsung Original -- Any comments? [costs 70$ ea,x2 140$]

HardDrive: WD 160GB-8MB JS - 7200RPM S-ATA II -- There's an option to add either "PRIMECOOLER HARD DISK DRIVE WAVE FAN" or "PRIMECOOLER Double fan SUPER HARD DISK DRIVE COOLER" (ofcourse I can also get none, the first one costs about 8$ and second is 11$). Are those needed? It's a pretty low cost, but I'm not sure about how quite they are and how effective they are, need some notes for this please. [costs 117$]

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Live 7.1 - 24 BIT - RETAIL -- This one seems like a legitimate choice. It's good enough and even great for gaming/hearing music and rather cheap. [costs 44$]

Speakers: Genius SW-J2.1 330 - 2.1 - They seem okay and they have a good price. [costs 41$]

Burner: LG CD-RW 52X32X52 - Oem -- Any comments on LG's burners? [costs 35$]

DVD Drive: LG DVD-ROM drive X16 - BULK -- Comments?

Screen: BenQ LCD 17" - FP71G+ - 8ms - Ultra Fast - Silver -- Seems like a good choice, any comments on BenQ's screens? [costs 365$]

Keyboard: Genius KB-16E PS2 ENG/HEB - PS2 -- Anyone ever had any bad experience with a Genius keyboard? ^^ I onno, rough buttons or w/e. [costs 20$]

What's the difference between "Bulk" and "Retail"? It's written near some products and I failed to surely understand what that means.

I know they prices probably seems outragous to you ;P it's because I'm from Israel.

Thanks alot for any thoughts :)

I recommend getting a more powerful PSU. If you decide to use SLI, you'll need at least 500W.

The 3500 is a good CPU. I would say that $45 is worth the upgrade from the 3200.

Although that mobo isnt the best one available, it will still be reliable, and perform well. What I dont understand, though is that you are looking at an SLI motherboard, when you are getting an ATI vid card. ATI vid cards dont support SLI. I say get an nvidia vid card or two, or get a non-SLI mobo.

That vid card is a good buy. Most people around here seem to like Nvidia, but the X800XL is still a good buy and will perform well.

That RAM will be fine.

Dont even bother with a sound card. THe onboard sound with Nforce4 mobos are excellent anyways.

That HD is fine as well. Dont worry about hard drive coolers unless you are getting a multitude of hard drives.

Why not just get one LG DVD burner? I actually prefer LG optical drives. I have an LG GSA-4160B and I think it is great. I think they have an LG GSA-4165B out now.

8ms is kinda excessive. You could likely save a chunk of money if you went with a 12ms LCD. You probably wont notice the difference in quality, but you will notice a price difference.

Bulk is also like OEM. OEM is the exact same product as the retail version but lacks things like a users manual, extra cables, fancy packaging, etc.

Hope that helps!

Sure did help ;P
Well, I lacked the knowledge of what SLI even was ^^
SLI seems like a good future plan. Though, nvidia's cards at the pricerange of the X800XL are all bad, only if I add abit more it becomes good. I can get 6600GT or even two, but that makes the whole future-proof wank.
Hm, my PSU is built-in on my case (350w), how do you manage with that?
The difference between the same screen of BenQ with 8ms and 12ms is about 40$, those 4ms aint worth that?
Some people suggested me getting Crosair memory instead of samsong, what do you think?
Well, problem with having only one CD-Drive is that you can't copy CDs.. This computer is actually for my friend, I tried getting him to get a DVD-Burner instead of a DVD Drive or instead of the burner but he thinks he doesnt need it..
Hm, DVD-Burners burn regular CDs on x16 max right?

When do you really overclock your computer? when you play a game you like and you don't get the performance you want?

As for the motherboard, I think I'd rather go SLI and get a nvidia.
Someone told me it might be better getting an Abit motherboard rather than an Asus one since they're better at overclocking, so the options are:
ASUS A8N-SLI - 939 (nForce4) - ATX (226$)
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (nForce4 SLI) - ATX (247$)
ABIT AN8 SLI - (nFORCE 4 SLI) - ATX (220$)
ABIT AN8 SLI Fatal1ty - (nFORCE 4 SLi) - ATX (285$)

What's the difference between Fatal1ty and the other Abit?
What's the difference between the premium (nForce4 SLI) and the other Asus?

Roger that. Other then that...

DVD Burners burn CD's pretty much at normal cd burning speeds, mine does 40x i believe but you can get them higher. The 16x is probably for DVD-r.

As for the monitor, if he is gaming, yes, the 4ms is worth it.

About the video card... If you want to be future proof or SLI, you obveously have to go nVidia. Crossfire is just crap right now and who knows what will come of it. So, you considered the two 6600gt's... Well let me tell you this, ONE 6800GT, does better then TWO 6600gt's. So wouldn't you rather have the second slot open for another 6800gt then lock them both up with lower end cards giving less performance for the price?

Stay away from Asus, if you can get the Fatal1ty board go for it, but the other Abit will definately suffice.

Good luck!

Fatality is definately more for overclocking and such, kind of like a 3rd eye. If you're picking up a Venice core you mind as well have something able to handle it.

Well, if I buy from outside IL my warrenty will be troubled.. If something happens, I have to send it all the way to the US which takes a few days and same for the journey home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom