sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

snlporter

Solid State Member
win 98 COA

I just tried to reinstall win98 (the disk that came with the system) on our older computer and now its asking for the sertificate of authenticity # which I can't find! (who hangs on to that stuff for 5 years?) any tips besides "get a new computer"

Maybe you could call MS, and explain it to them. They might have a work-around solution for you.

If its a branded computer like HP or Dell and if windows 98 came preinstalled, call the tech support. Dont know about Dell but HP provided COA key if u loose it.

no if his computer originally came with win98 using winXP i would assume he has old slow computer. massive slowdown, and winxp is a waste of money on an old slow machine.

If it's an old computer, I wouldn't recommend going to XP. You might come across a ton of problems with hardware not being compatible. I had hardware that was only 2 yrs old that wouldn't work with XP. Gotta love MS.

Calling MS might work, but I have always doubted MS when it comes to helping people with any type of problem. Maybe see if someone you know has an old certificate number you can use? I would offer you my old one but I don't have that stuff anymore.

I think it's against house rules to give up that info maybe one of the Mod's could let us know;)

Replacing the OS with XP is not the best opinion. No one has even asked what kind of hardware is involved?!? Also, if someone wants to share a COA or a serial.....that's beyond our control, but it shouldn't happen as a post on this site.
***snlporter***
My advise is to contact HP or MS. Your account info or the serial number on the PC should be enough. Do you still have anything on the PC that would deem it unique?

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom