Ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecniv

<a href="http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f109/foldin
This is a list of commonly used ports, best thing to do is close all except these and if you find you need them, open others later.

7 Echo systat
11 Active users qotd
17 Quote of the day msp
18 Message Send Protocol ftp-data
20 File Transfer (Data Channel) ftp
21 File Transfer (Control) telnet
23 Telnet smtp
25 Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
42 TCP Nameserver bootps
67 Bootstrap Protocol Server bootpc
68 Bootstrap Protocol Client tftp
69 Trival File Transfer gopher
70 Gopher finger
79 Finger www
80 World Wide Web Kerberos
88 Kerberos pop3
110 TCP post office nntp
119 USENET nfs
2049 Network File System

What program is it? I can research it and get back to you on exactly how to do it.

wow, thats a pretty obscure program. Really here is my best suggestion. I use a Program called BlackICE. you can use it to close or open ports quite easily. There is a demo version I believe and the Full should not be very expensive. Also you could use Zone Alarm, and that does basically the same thing. Probably the easiest ones to configure.

NAV firewall has quite a few exploitable vulnerablities from time to time. Best one I have used is BlackICE, do a search at google for it, and give it a try. Most of the software firewalls are good enough to keep most casual script kiddies at bay.

You have to keep in mind one thing though. If a REAL hacker wants to get in... He/she WILL. There is a way around everything. I wouldnt be too worried about it, most hackers arent just targeting random people.

lol, yea thats the way I look at it!

I dont keep any personal data on mine at all. really, the ones on that initial list I gave you are the main ones used, unless you run games or file sharing programs, you shouldnt need anything else open.

I've been testing ZoneAlarm on my XP system, and so far, I'm pleased with it compared to Norton Internet Security (especially the price!).

I'm also using Proxomitron for banner/pop-up stripping.

Both are cinchy to operate and disable.

Go to this website.

This website's great, it checks to see if your NetBIOS and Internet Port (139) are open or closed.

Here's my Results (RedHate Linux 8)
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

FTP
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

Telnet
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

SMTP

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

RPC

Net
BIOS

IMAP

HTTPS

MSFT
DS

UPnP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom