Motherboard may be broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherubimon_3.20

In Runtime
Hey guys, its great to be back. Havent been here in over a year or two. A lot to catchup I bet.

Anyway one day I was changing my cpu fan on my athlon 64. The heatsink was kinda hard to take off the actual cpu so i wiggled it back and forth to get it off. But when it finally came off the processor came with it.

Some pins on the cpu were bent, and i put them back and put it back in my mobo to try turn on again (dont ask why) but never worked again. So learning that my cpu is really broken, is there a chance the my mobo might have gone with it?

Btw, it was an A64 2800+ 1.8GHz Socket 754

Thanks for any help

Hi everyone im new to the forum but I think I can help! In order for me to accurately diagnos the problem you will need to the follow these questionaires!

+ Have you recieved any "POST" error messages in the form of either beeps, or displayed text?

- If so make note of them and consult the motherboard manufacturer and BIOS manufacturer to define the Error codes.

+ When working on your PC were you properly grounded and using an ESD strap?

- If not there is a possibility that you have damaged your motherboard irreversibily. Remember! It only takes as much as 3 Volts to Fry a electronic circuit and we can only feel as much as 3,000 or more volts. 10,000 and up cause a slight pain and noticeable zapping sound.

+ Do you own any Diagnostic testing equiptment?

- No? Another alternative is to go and buy a "POST Diagnostics Card" which will give you a digital readout and summary of the errors when the POST Run by the BIOS fails to find any.

- Still if nothing helps I would definitely test the components and Board with a multimeter and if you are not sure how to use one find someone who can!

Well thats all I have for now so, until you can answer some of the questions I have provided theres just alot of speculation and standard procedures I could go through wasting time without knowing the specifics. So good luck!

No post messages of any kind. The computer will not be on for longer than a second or so, then it shuts off. MOnitor does not turn on and power is not being supplied to any of my components.

I was wearing an anti-static strap at the time.

But the thing is that some of the pins of my cpu were bent out of place, if that makes any difference, when it came out of the mobo.

First make sure you seated the processor correctly there is a special pin grid alignment that is usually represented by an > to make sure its seated in the proper direction try that and if not its fried.

Well, theres an arrow on the processor and the part on the motherboard, and matched them up when i put it in. It doenst look fried, except when handling it some grey powder came off of it.

Regardless of how it looks unless it was struck by 25,000 volt electrical surge you wont be able to tell by looking at it. The powder is the Thermal Conductive paste used to provide proper heat transmissions between the Processor and the Heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom