New board and sata drive! Read please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobstone69

Beta member
Hello,
I am about to buy a new Asus board, cpu, sata drive etc. Ive built many computers but i wanna be sure i do this 100%.
I want to copy my existing C drive (pata) to a new sata drive and then install that drive into the new motherboard and use that as the boot drive. I believe i know the procedures but i wanna be sure.
Ill use partition magic to copy my current c drive to the new sata drive. After setting up the new motherboard with the new drive in and other drives in similar fasion as on the old pc and ill boot with my XP sp2 cd and do a repair install. After this i should be bootable...correct??
Also, when i do boot up the new pc should i not install any other drives or pci cards? I guess the question here is should i make the configuration of the new pc almost exactly the same as with the old? (drives and cards)
All i am concerned with is getting my current c drive onto a new sata drive and getting it to boot without future problems. Anything after that i can handle, i hope.
Anyone any advice, please.

Thanks
Bob

I have now an 80 gig pata maxtor drive and im getting a new maxtor maxline III sata drive.
Getting the Asus p5wd2 Premium Wifi mobo, p4 3.6 or p4 dual core 3.2 (not sure which yet), 1 gig ddr2 800

It's easier just to back up files on the old drive and replace them onto the new drive. That's just my thoughts...

Ryan

It would be, but then i lose all my configurations and programs. And that is a lot. Im willing to try whatever necessary to make this work. "files" arent the problem, its all the other stuff.

I think dealing with driver problems and such will be more of a pain than backing up and starting from scratch.

Not if you saw all the programs and configurations ive made. Drivers shouldnt be an issue as far as i can see if i repair install from my xp sp2 cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom