• don't know, don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alireza Etezadi

Beta member
Dear Guys,

- I have recently bought an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU and it is working great. But there's one thing that really makes me worry about it and that is since I am using the original cooler which was shipped with the CPU, the temperature varies between 55c and 59 in full load which I think is a little bit high.

Is it normal for this CPU to be running at this temperature or there's something which I should pay attention to?

My mobo is GIGABYTE VT600 and I am using DDR-400 RAMs.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

That is running a bit high.. Have you overclocked it at all??
I am using the original cooler and mine runs at 51oC max w/o overclock though.
The cpus are rated up to 85oC ish I think but keeping it below 60 is a good idea.
Are you sure that you seated it correctly? and you did do stuff like taking the plastic film off first i'd assume.
If you have done everything right and your worried about the temp all I can suggest is a better hs/f I have heard good things about the volcano series.

Original Heatsinks are fine but there is a problem with the mateing service between the CPU and the Heatsink.Its a proven fact that most heatsinks need lapping.Every HS that ive tested was in need of lapping.For some reason manufactures dont make that a priority . I sugest lapping every HS that you install.
Cooler Master has a very good blower and heatsink combo that will lower your temperature effectively.I switched from a retail P4 HS and fan to an Aero 4 with a solid copper HS (i did have to lap the HS ) my CPU temperature droped 10 degrees under load thats incredible :) . The Retail P4 HS that i removed needed lapping also .

you polish the contact area that lays on top of the CPU die. you don't need to do that. you are only a little overheated. your problem is not the heatsink. it is because you have used low-quality thermal paste on the CPU die or your case ventilation is poor.

this is caused by lack of case fans, wrong airflow direction, or cables & wire obstruction of airflow. leave the side panel of the case open and see what temperature you get.

Thank you all for your messages. I installed a second system fan on the case but I observed no change in the temperature of the cpu. I also checked the connection between the cpu die and the serface of the fan and it looked ok. I think the regular hs shipped with the cpu is not the right choice and it would be better if I install a copper one on the cpu.

I also openned the case side door and it changed the temperature a little bit lower like -2oc. but when I started playing a game, it raised to 59oC..! I was terrified like hell..! I am really confused and don't know what to do... I think I will go for puttin some paste ont the contact area and maybe change the regular AMD hs... What do ya suggest, guys?

If i were you id start over and remove your CPU re-install it make sure its seated corectly apply a thin evenly applied layer of quality thermal compound make sure your heatsink is making good contact with the CPU.Lapping well
Its a technique that removes highspots and imperfections on the bottom of the heatsink.So that your heatsink covers the entire CPU chip evenly.Creating a better heat dissipation area so that your CPU can get the maximum cooling benefit from the HeatSink.
How to Lap a Heatsink.You need to study on this.It may or maynot be your problem .Its not hard to do but make sure that you sand the heatsink level with equal pressure .You dont want to change the integrity of the heatsink so that it sets lopsided.Pay attention to how much material your removing from the Heatsink.You may have to adjust the locking mechanism of the heatsink retainer to compensate for the material removed .Study thouroghly..
Its really all comon sense .You can use a micrometer to measure the heatsink before then again after to see how much material you removed .Shim the locking mechanism to compensate.
Im using the CoolerMaster Aero 4 version blower .
Lowerd my cpu 10 degrees
And i did have to lap the heatsink .It had a highspot in the center
of the HeatSink so it took alot of lapping.When i was done i had to install shims at a thikness of 40 thousands under the locking springs(those silver arms that actually hold the heatsink) to compensate for the material removed

oh yeah thats a good point Alireza Etezadi. i forgot the retail heatsink fan from xp2500 comes with a thermal pad. you need to scrape it off and put some good thermal paste on it.

artic silver ceramique version is good. your overheat problem is probably cause by using the pad. i had the same problem

my friend has the same chip and standard hsf and it was even hotter.. i checke the thermal past etc so i underclocked it till he gets his volcano!!!!

Appreciation all round.

Thanks to Cappy, ekÆsine and inatey. You 've all been very helpful to me. I am going for all your soloutions and will tell you about the results.

If you had anything else in mind, plz drop me some lines and let me know.

Sincerely,
Alireza Etezadi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom