Overclocking woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcrknp

Baseband Member
So I finally got my memory to run at 200mhz along with my cpu clock, with the help of A64 Tweaker. Now I want to try overclocking my CPU. I increased the frequency to 203mhz in the BIOS (starting slow). Now in Everest Home Edition it shows that my memory is also running at 203mhz(406). I'm pretty sure this won't damage my memory, but I want to be able to clock my CPU higher without increasing my memory bus speed. Is this possible?

Also in Everest it says this under SPD:
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

I don't know what refresh rate is, but does 'reduced' means it's running slower than it's capabliity?

You have to go into your BIOS and change the memory divider. Then your memory will be running slower than your cpu, and u can get a higher clock speed.
If you haven't already you should read the overclocking sticky, if you would have done that it would have answered your question. The sticky is very useful check it out.

The sticky to the link to Eva2000's post is complicated as hell. I'm pretty good at overclocking and even I don't fully understand it. There are a lot of better guides out there for beginners.

As for the memory thing, what kind of memory do you have? We might be able to determine how high it can be overclocked.

If the memory sucks for overclocking, then you would have to set a memory divider through either your BIOS or, I think A64 Tweaker also has an option for memory divider speed. It will set your memory speed at a ratio to your HTT/FSB. So, if you have a 6:5 divider; For every 6MHz of your HTT/FSB, your memory will run at 5 MHz. So if you HTT/FSB is at 250, the memory will be at 208...stuff like that.

It's Corsair ValueSelect...nothing overclockable....

My BIOS does not have a memory divider option, and I can't find one in A64 Tweaker either.

Theres nothing confusing about Eva2000's guide...it just goes in depth with the AMD64s considering they have quite a bit of options and generally require quite a bit of tweaking....

You really need to put what kind of motherboard you're using and things like that dude. Then people would have a better idea of what you're working with

Nubius said:
Theres nothing confusing about Eva2000's guide...it just goes in depth with the AMD64s considering they have quite a bit of options and generally require quite a bit of tweaking...

I agree thats its a pretty good guide, but even I only understand like 75% of it. Its a good guide if you know what you're doing, but if you're a beginner who barely knows what a HTT is, then theres no way you're going to understand that. The way I learned to overclock was by reading stickies over at the OC Forums. Those guides sort of baby you and tell you a lot about every single thing so that someone who knows nothing about how a PC works can learn to eventually get a decent overclock on their PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom