First build, spazzy power

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddrummer57

Beta member
So, I've been working on my first build for a few weeks now, and I finally managed to get an image on the screen (turns out those spacers on the motherbaord exist for a reason). However, a few problems occured. When the screen came up asking me to press ESC to get into the BIOS menu, they keyboard didn't respond. I had been using this keyboard on a different computer for some time, so I knew it worked.

However, my problems didn't end there. After turning it off and on maybe 4 or 5 times, checking all my connections, I turned it on, and the screen pops up for a moment, then the computer shuts off on its own. Now here's where it gets a little funky. When I set my PSU to 230V instead of 150(the setting where the image on the screen comes up), it powers up and the fans and lights stay on, but nothing comes up on the monitor. Could it be the PSU? I really have no idea. Thanks for any help.

I would try unplugging and removing any unnecessary devices just to be sure. If you have any PCI cards remove them, any CD/DVD unplug them and unplug the keyboard and mouse for the moment. Leave only the video card and try booting again.

If your in the states DO NOT set the PSU to 230 volts.

I think your PSU is 100% buggered, and I would immidietly take it out, and it is also a risk to your entire computer.

Alright, I tired what Law said, and no luck. I just switched out the PSU to the one that came stock with the case, and the same problems occurred. I checked out that random reboot sticky and the only thing that made any sense was the bit about the RAM. So, I removed one of my sticks (I got dual-channel 512, 1 GB total), and the thing booted up great. However, in the boot, it said something about a media error, then it went to a blinkng prompt, so I powered it off, and it reverted to the same problem as listed previously.

Media error is most likely because the computer cannot boot off the network, Floppy Disk, CD / DVD or harddrive, due to nothing being in either one of these.

maddrummer57 said:
So, I've been working on my first build for a few weeks now, and I finally managed to get an image on the screen (turns out those spacers on the motherbaord exist for a reason).

uhhhh yeah...
Those spacers keep the motherboard elevated enough so that it doesn't short circuit out on the chassis of the case. If you had that mobo installed up against the case and powered it on like that, you could have or did some serious damage to the motherboard.

Now, it's not 100% that you damaged it, but with all the problems your having it adds one more variable that makes it much tougher to diagnose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom