Recognising hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Face50

Solid State Member
Hello all. Iv just bought all the parts from eBuyer and built myself a new computer. Just wondering if anyone could tell me why my computer is giving me this warning/error message everytime I start windows (as it's loading up);

'There is no disk in drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\HardDisk1\DR2'

It's very odd, and it doesnt make any difference whether I click 'cancel' or 'continue' (obvisouly 'retry' just brings up the same message).

Another wierd thing, that may well be relivant is that the normasl local drive (my hard drive) is letter 'H', rather than the normal 'C'. Is there any way to change this? Also, in 'My Computer', under 'Devices with Removable Storage', aswell as the normal 'A' Drive, theres a 'C' drive, and an 'E', 'F', and 'G' drive! When I double click any of them though, they give me this;

'Please insert a disk into drive'

Whats going on????????
Cheers

What OS are you using?
What Service Pack are you using?
How long has this problem been occurring?

Windows XP
SP 1 at the mo (d/l SP2 as we speak)
Problem occuring eversince the first time I turned the newly built computer on.

Cheers

my guess is that you plugged the hdd cable into number 4 instead of number 1 or something like that. Im not sure what else it could be. After checking the connection i might be tempted to swipe the hdd and start over. If you dont have xp try and get that onto it

hope this helps

Go into bios and see if the IDE's are positioned where you positioned them.

Also check and see if the boot sequence is correct.

rafe; why no SP2???

What should the boot sequence be?

1-IDE0
2-CD drive
3-disabled

???
(I dont have a floppy drive)

AND, Im sorry, but how do you mean see if they are positioned correctly? Under what setyting is that? what should I look out for??

Also, there are only 2 IDE plugs in my MOBO (my HD and my CD drive) should I try swapping them around?

Cheers

Face50 said:
WHYYYYYY?????????????

You might as well splash water on your system, toss it off a 50 story building right where a large semi will drive, the semi will run it over pushing it into the gutter, then it will fall into the sewer making its way to the ocean where it will be swallowed by a large whale that will be eaten by five great-whiteÂ’s that will be caught just moments later and have their fins cut off and made into soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom