upgrading video card, need rare power adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfraser01

Beta member
I have a Shuttle SN25P, and i'm upgrading my video card from a 6600gt to a 7800gt, but i noticed that my new card needs a 6 pin pci-e power connector, or two molex power connectors to use with the provided adapter. However, in my current setup, I have no molex plugs free, one powers the floppy (yes, i still need the floppy for some projects) and the other powers the dvd burner. besides, i don't really want to run the card on the same rail as my burner and floppy, it might be too much of a power drain.... I have only one hard drive in there, so i actually have 2 SATA power connectors free. I've seen many stores that carry adapters that change molex to SATA, and 2 molex to pci-e, but none that change SATA to molex or 2 SATA to pci-e. Does anyone know of a place that carries the adapters i need?
If no such thing exists, is it safe to cut off the 2 spare SATA male headers from the wires and rewire them directly into the molex/pci-e adapter that comes with the card?

here's the link to the card i'm getting, the molex/pci-e adapter is shown in the product photo gallery:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130238

I dont know of any place... but itd be worth it to get new power supply... a pci express power supply. I have an SLI system so i got one of the seasonic 600w. I really like mine, it fit into my case very easily (everyone said it is VERY hard to mount - the thermaltake VA8000S SERIES).

Sorry, I dont know what else to tell you

Thanks for the reply, but as it turns out, my shuttle uses a PSU that can't be replaced with a regular one without having it hanging out the side. Which is why I'm looking for those particular adapters... They will allow me to use the free leads on my existing power supply without me having to buy a new one and leave my case open permanently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom