My cpu temp is way high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilyushin

Baseband Member
My cpu temp is freaking 65 degrees celcius under load. That's barely any load too, when i play CS 1.6. I have a p4 530j prescott running at 3.0. I don't overclock. I have a 3rd party heatsink/fan. Thermaltake silent775. I did not use as5, I used some dynex stuff from best-buy. I have some as3. Will it perform as well as as5?

I'm not quite sure about the fan you bought there, but if you at one point or another replaced the fan yourself, did you remember to apply heat transfer paste to the processor before putting on the heatsink? I think that's what you asking, hope I was helpful.

ilyushin said:
My cpu temp is freaking 65 degrees celcius under load. That's barely any load too, when i play CS 1.6. I have a p4 530j prescott running at 3.0. I don't overclock. I have a 3rd party heatsink/fan. Thermaltake silent775. I did not use as5, I used some dynex stuff from best-buy. I have some as3. Will it perform as well as as5?

AS5 although extremely popular here and is a top thermal product, isn't the end all of thermal pastes. There are several others that will do the job just fine.

Most people think that MORE thermal paste is better. Which is untrue. In this case MORE is worse. Thermal Paste is designed not to cool a CPU. IT's designed to aid in the cooling by filling all of the microscopic inperfections and holes in the heat sink as well as the CPU die. This allows creates a (seal) to allow heat to dissipate directly to the HS from the CPU. Since the holes you are filling are microscopic, you don't need GOBS of paste. Just enough to "thin, thin, thinly" spread out over the CPU die.

"Remove the HS&FAN, completely clean the HS and CPU die, use this Arcticclean, which works extremely well. Then reapply a tiny amount of paste. Then use a creditcard or similar type card and spread it out over the CPU die. I stress "thin". Then reattach the HS&fan. Give it like 50 to 100 hours, then remonitor your temps. They should be lower..."

Also... you need to re-evaluate your case cooling. Think of heat disipation as "steps" or a "cycle". CPU > HS&FAN > CASE > OUTSIDE AIR > CASE > HS&FAN > CPU
If your case doesn't have a good intake and exhaust fan, the HOT air created by components inside the case will not dissipate properly. You need to drive the cycle by pulling cooler outside air into your case, allowing it to mix with warmer inside air lower the case temp, then removing that air with an exhaust fan. This is also refered to as "air flow". IT's essential to proper cooling.

Ok heres what i did. I removed heatsink, got some as3, cleaned the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink. Then I read the instructions on how to apply it on www.arcticsilver.com. I applied the thermal paste as it said and now my cpu temp is 30 degrees at idle. Isn't that great! I'm so happy.

ilyushin said:
Ok heres what i did. I removed heatsink, got some as3, cleaned the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink. Then I read the instructions on how to apply it on www.arcticsilver.com. I applied the thermal paste as it said and now my cpu temp is 30 degrees at idle. Isn't that great! I'm so happy.

Did you have too much Thermal Paste on before? You should still give it a few days. Once the Paste sets you'll probably get better temps.

Sortuv. The problem was that I installed the hs the wrong way so that only about 25% of the actual heatsink was toughing the processor. It did that because The other end of the heatsink was on 4 round metal tubes on the motherboard. I forget what they are called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom