Are acer laptops good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megadeth

Solid State Member
Hey,

I am in need of a new computer because I share my computer with my whole family and we only have like .5 gb left onj the hard drive.

My problem is, I am only 15 so, i am very low on cash. I was leaning towards a laptop rather than a desktop because of the space you save. I want a lot of hard drive space but, I suppose I could just by and external hardrive. I was looking at acer computers because, I am hoping to spend under 1000 dollars on a computer and they dont look to bad. These are the specs of one that I was looking at:

Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Platform Notebook PC
Expansion Ports 1 - Type II PC Card Slot
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Class Turion 64 ML-30
Processor Speed 1.6GHz
Memory Type DDR333
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Slots (Total) 2
Capacity 60GB
Optical Drive Type CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Graphics Description Integrated Graphics
Communications Description Integrated Wireless LAN
Width 14.3"
Height 1.5”
Depth 11.0"
Weight 6.2 lbs
Display Type TFT
XGA
Viewable Screen Size 15.4"

That looks pretyty good to me but, I dont know too much. is an AMD processor any good? Is the processor class any good? I really like this because it doesnt have too small of a hard drive, the ram is pretty good and it has a dvd/cd burner and a dvd player which are things I need.

anyways, does anyone have any experience with acer computers and are they good for the price?

thanks a lot

It sounds great to me.

"Turion" is AMD's new low volage 64 bit mobile processor... you can't go wrong with that.

Intergrated graphics are gonna suk, though. If you can choose your components, get some type of graphics card, even if it is an old one. Any card beats intergrated.

It has a CD burner that can play a DVD, but it can't burn one. Upgrading to a burner shouldn't be too expensive, though.

Remember, you don't want this thing to be useless in six months, nor do you want it to become an Achilles' heal, either. With a lappy, you have to do it upfront, as the possibility of upgrading is limited to memory, optical drives, and sometimes hard drives.

Yeah, It does sound good, but I still dont know because If i get a desktop, it will be much cheaper and I can get a compaq desktop computer with 200gb, cd/dvd burner, 512 mb of ram for like 600, then I can just get a cheap monitor for 150 andthen I have a great setup for like 800 bucks, thats probably what I'll do.

thanks for your input.

Acer sucks in my experience. I carry them at my store and they're nothing but trouble. Lots of weird problems and low quality parts with them.
HP and Sony are the better notebook brands. Here's a good HP for under $1000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834147254

Go ahead and get a desktop if you want, though. The only advantage to a notebook is really the portability. How important is that to you?

yeah, the portability is not that important, but, that laptop is in american dollars so, thats gonna be more then 1000 in cnd. I thought that I had said that I was in Canada but, I guess I forgot.

jorsoft03 said:
Acer sucks in my experience. I carry them at my store and they're nothing but trouble. Lots of weird problems and low quality parts with them.
HP and Sony are the better notebook brands. Here's a good HP for under $1000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834147254

Go ahead and get a desktop if you want, though. The only advantage to a notebook is really the portability. How important is that to you?

Really? I have really liked acer.

Only problem I have seen is a broken screen hinge, that wasn't fun however.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Really? I have really liked acer.

Only problem I have seen is a broken screen hinge, that wasn't fun however.
Personally I've had nothing but problems from them. Some are hardware related (they use generic parts almost exclusively in most of their laptops) and some odd software problems, such as botched copies of XP, burning software that doesn't work or is incompatible with the installed drive, just plain *weird* default settings (both software and in some cases xp), etc. It's not a brand that I would buy, althought some of their nicer laptops have been given favorable reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom