windows xp and windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I was wondering if it was possible to view the folders on a machine running windows 2000 from a machine running windows xp. i will stick the two machines into two ports of an ADSL MODEM.

The ports of an ADSL MODEM work just like a switch. Have you been able to view these folders from another hub and/or switch before? Same concerpt. If not, let us know and we will walk you through it.

i have two boxes running windows xp, and i could see their folders, i could ping the two machines. and could see the machines, but they would not let me login.

a friend with windows 200 on his box had tried to copy some files across, we split the files and used usb (very inefficient) to copy them across.

thanks dudes

should it have been the same process (2 windows xp boxes) and (1 windows xp and 1 windows 2000) box

make sure both computers has the correct hardware setup for a home network / LAN. i've done so for connection to my ADSL router modem by connecting both computers to the modem.
both your win2k & winxp must set to a same workgroup name.
restart your computers after setting so.
now your win2k must b able to access share folders on winxp.
on winxp, however, when you are trying to click on win2k computer, it prompts you for username/password.
so, go to win2k, setup the same user account as per your winxp current login (or the account that you'd like to access win2k's share folders).
now, make sure you are using the account on winxp, you should've no problem to access win2k share folders now.

append: oops, sorry didn't know that this is an old thread, i was browsing for help before i posted & i only got this idea after several tries on the machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom