TOTAL n00b question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
well i just assembled my first build, and have some troubles. I am so lost as to how to install the operating system onto the hard drive. and then my motherboard tells me to put in "the system disk" or something like that. i have a floppy drive and a DVD/CD "combo drive" but the DVD/CD drive isnt being reckognized in the set-up (hdd and fdd are there though).so my question is how do i install an operating system onto the computer?

I have no idea if this is related to the problem but my case lights dont work either. All the fans turn on, i can access the settings to manipulate the clock speed of the processor and such. below is my system...

x2 4200+, asus premium sli, 6800gt, audigy 2 zs gammers ed., western digital hard drive (200 gigs), two gigs RAM, low latancy (patriot), Seasonic 600w SLI power supply

usually to install the operating system you put the disc in the cd drive

thats the thing in the front that after you push the button atray slides out

then you carefully put the disc onto the tray shiny side down

press the button again to make the tray go in

restart the computer

when it post's there will be something near the bottom that says press any key to boot from cd

therefore you press any key

and voila it will install

Im just messing with you

what i would do is troubleshoot the problem

try a pos cd rom drive and see if that is detected

if it doesnt work then try another ide cable

if it still doesnt work then you have an ide controller issue on your motherboard

so either rma the motherboard or test it out with another motherboard

other than that i cant seem to think of anything else that could be causing the problem

yeah, because i dont think that either of my drives are working, i have a bootable made and a cd; neither work...

i'll try a new cable right now

found two problems... first, no power (i know...) and second the plug into the mobo was upside down. after fixing that my CD/DVD drive is working and loaded xp. it froze durring the EULA though and now it wont boot from the CD again. Does anyone know if "incompatible" ram could be the issue? im not talking about PC3200 vs PC4000, just the vendors.

and my case LEDs STILL DONT WORK!!:mad: :angry: (again any sugestions, ive double and triple checked them)

have u set the computer to boot from the CD in bios?

also ur LED connecters may be plugged in the wrong pins on the header or if the connecters have + and - connecters then try switch them around.

i made the cd boot first and stuff but it still stops at the EULA (end user liscens agreement).... This is a real cd and all that and has stopped responding at this section 6 times... again could it be a ram issue. in the BIOS it says that there is 1024, or 2048 depending on what modules i have in (my patriot ram isnt on the "Qualified Vendor List" - should i grab some xms twinx instead which is on the list?)

any sugestions are welcome

btw i got the lights to work, flurobmx was right... although its kind of strange, those wires went in the oposite way than the on and reset switch.

EDIT: im just going to RMA them and get the corsair xms twinx 2 x 1gb (which IS on the list!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom