DVD - and +, why the hassel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli#1fan

Baseband Member
why did they have to create two formats of dvd being - and +, is there a point 2 it? all it does is confuse people!

i have a LITE ON DVD+RW, but little did i know about the 2 formats before i went and bought a whole lot of DVD- discs, i treid burning a dvd and it wouldn't even recognise the dvd, then after some help of a mate from a retail store, i learnt about the 2 formats, why are + type dvds more expensive? is there a real difference for the price?

no not really, if it works for what you intend to use it for that the other format doesn't really matter other than saving you money.

minus has always worked for me, plus is the newer format being supported meaning minus should dissapear in the future.

The main reason that there are two different formats is the fact that they didn't decide on a "standard" format to begin with.
Look at "betamax" & 'VHS" video tape.
VHS has always had a poorer quality picture than beta, but beat it because JVC licensed the format to anyone that wanted to make the compatible (VHS) machines. In the end, marketing set the standard for VHS format to win. (Prices for VHS machines were almost always lower than Beta)
Does anybody remember the 5-1/2" floppy?

The +- DVD formats may stay around or a while, but eventually, one may dominate and "take-over".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom