I Hate Windows but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

honsbeek

Baseband Member
Hi,

I hate windows but can't life without it...
I am stuck using Windows XP sp-1 because I even hated
sp-2 even more... Please recommend tweak sites and methods
to fully optimize windows performance.

Meaning unnecessary services etc... memory tweaks

here is my system :

Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott
512 Mb PC3200 x 2
Radeon 7500 64mb.
Asus P4P800 SE

Thank you
Ralph

Well I will give you my personal advice.

1. Stay far away from SP2

2. Only install updates that matter to you, dont go installing upadates that have nothing to do with what you are doing with your computer

3. Always keep your hard drive defragmented

4. Disable unneeded startup items in MSCONFIG

5. Stop and disable the Messenger service

6. Keep the minimum and max pagefile amounts the same. I have 1gb of ram, and I keep mine at 600mb

7. Turn off system restore, it is a waste of time/space. It slows down your computer, if your computer gets infected with viruses, the virus will embed itself in the restore files.

8. Use Mozilla Firefox.

9. Make an hard disk image of a fresh install of XP, so that a new install is smooth and painless, and you save time reactivating it. You can only reactivate XP something 5 times before you have to manually call in to activate it, belive me... It is a pain in the @ss...... And also you will save the hassle of installing drivers and other software. So get XP just the way you want it, and make an image.

To Uzi ,

Can you tell me exactly how you do that , making a copy of windows after first installment. How would you let your computer see the image after you format your drive to clean out windows completly and then how would you do it, can you give me the procedure for that please

thanks

I don't understand everyones hate of SP2. I haven't noticed any problems from it :confused:

SP2 is fine if its installed fresh with windows so that the programs you install adjust to it, you will have few problems if u install sp2 later on, once having installed most of your applications, but you will not have many problems if u install it first. You can disable windows firewall if you don't want to use it.. and you can change many settings you dont wish to use, but SP2 is fine...

As for tweaks, there are lots of registry tweaks you can do, check out www.tweakxp.com it has many tweaks that are nice, but be carefull when modifying the registry.

SP2 is great, and I recomend installing it.

If you install SP2 over a dirt or pirated copy of windows, it can really mess thing's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom