25gb USED!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
take the drive out of the laptop, hook it to a pc and do a full format... reconnect to laptop and do a fresh install of windows, not to utilize the FORMAT NFTS (QUICK),, that should do it...

I really cant format again... i dont understand why no one can tell me where this extra space is

Something must have gone wrong during your format, did you get any errors while reformating?
I would suggest that you reformat again, it might be the only way of getting your space back.
BTW: did you format with fat32 or NTFS?

1. use powermax in my signature to wipe it clean

2.make sure your hard drive detect is set to auto in your bios

what does powermax do exactly, i wasnt given any ntfs or fat options so i dont know- where is the space... i guess my question is are there files that can be deleted somewhere... or does the HD just think it doesnt have this 25gb

It is possible that your computer only partially formated your hard drive, and that it cannot read your 25GB because it is raw space that does not have a drive assigned to it.
If this is the case, then as I said before, the only way to get your space back is to reformat.

dnoch: said:
It is possible that your computer only partially formated your hard drive, and that it cannot read your 25GB because it is raw space that does not have a drive assigned to it.
If this is the case, then as I said before, the only way to get your space back is to reformat.
hah2110 made it very clear, the defragmentor shows 29.5GB/55GB free diskspace.
this means the drive is recognized as space but some 25GB have already been occupied with data.

hah2110: said:
what does powermax do exactly, i wasnt given any ntfs or fat options so i dont know- where is the space... i guess my question is are there files that can be deleted somewhere... or does the HD just think it doesnt have this 25gb
the problem seems not too difficult, but u must find out where this bulk data is. 1st starts by propertizing your drives, does that show the volume has the capacity you've confirmed 55GB or 60GB?
then go down by the folder tree one by one to identify which folder has occupied the space.
most probably u've mass emails occupying the space, a swap file not refresh after long run or the worse case is there is a trojan/worm replicating itself and occupying the space bit by bit.

Other things like Norton virus scan has been know to duplicate malicious file when it can't delete it. I've seen this on my cousin computer when he was bugged down with a malicous file that was 50mb and norton when it couldn't delete it norton kept qurantining it (making more copy) every single time it detected it. Eventually his harddrive filled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom