amd and 478pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think originally AMD and Intel processors used the same package type also called interface. you could stick a AMD CPU and a Intel CPU into the same motherboard.

for a long time now they have created their own package types that are used only with there own processors and they also use many different types for each of their different versions of the CPU cores like coppermine, palamino, and all the other crazy names.

socket 478 is for the pentium4 based celerons (1.8Ghz and above) and pentium 4 only i think.

amd XP use slot A or whatever, i can't remeber. my point is it won't work because each interface are unique. they also have different configuration of the pins for each type. whatever CPU interface your board supports is what you can use. there is only 1 type of interface your board will support.

Socket 462 aka Socket A is what the majority of AMD's Athlons, and Durons, Athlon XPs and MPs run on.

AMD Athlon (original K7 and K75 core) : Slot A
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird) : Slot A and Socket 462
AMD Athlon XP: Socket 462
AMD Athlon MP: Socket 462
AMD Duron: Socket 462

As noted above, you cannot use a Socket A (Socket 462) based processor on a Socket 478 motherboard - not only are the pin orientations different, but the platforms themselves are completely different and unique as well (Socket 478 - Intel; Socket 462 - AMD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom