Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brings me to my next question is Microsoft stupid or is Microsoft really hopfull that 20gig RAM chips are developed in the following year:eek: .

no i think they just did not want to have a problem like with the 137 gb limit on hds so they put in a large # just to be sure.

Does anyone have Vista and have a problem getting the DWM (Glass Effects) to work. I have the fix for it.

A old crappy 32 meg 4 year old one that was never built for gaming even 4 years ago. Name is unknown but it sucks.

64 meg is the bare essentials for glass to work.

that means if i had vista the glass would kinda work but I should have a new vid card by tome vista comes out.

Tyler1989 said:
Makaveli213 you are wrong. Server 2003 does use NT code and if you don't want to call it Server 2003 it's other proper name is NT5.3. When Vista was first in alpha phases it used XP as it's foundation then they scraped everything and restarted with Server 2003 SP1 as it's fondation as it's more secure. Vista is now at a stage where Server 2003 drivers will not work anymore at least this is true with my own driver set at least.

Windows NT = Windows NT 3.1
Daytona = Windows NT3.5
Cairo = Windows NT4.0
no codename = NT5.0 = Windows 2000
Whistler = NT5.1 = Windows XP
Whistler Server = NT5.3 = Windows Server 2003
Longhorn = NT6.0 = Vista

Clear any errors you find

Vista doesnt use the NT kernel. the other one thats wrong is the "Whistler Server", it wasnt called that, it was a totally different OS, so they didnt call it anything "whistler" which is XP's codename

I already know for a fact Vista uses NT code as I have it and use it. I'm sorry this is 100% certain it is NT6.0

I also remember back in the day the old name being Whistler Server but I am not 100% sure on this can anyone else confirm it.

Okay for those that would like the DWM (Glass Effects) Here you go. I have posted this lsewhere and others have gotten success from it.

Well i was able to get the DWM effects while using the nVidia 78.01 drivers. At first the DWM didnt work but i went into the registry and found that a registry key had changed between the 2 drivers. I changed the registry key to the beta settings and Viola DWM effects on non beta drivers. The registry should look like this to have DWM effects...
**Warning messing with the Registry can have adverse effects on your system try at your own risk**

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DWM] 
"UseAlternateButtons"=dword:00000000 
"Blur"=dword:00000001 
"Animations"=dword:00000001 
"Glass"=dword:00000001 
"AnimationsShiftKey"=dword:00000001 
"EnableMachineCheck"=dword:00000000

Not in that exact order but you get the idea. Just make sure to restart after you do the change and they work just fine. I have heard from a few that have tried it on non supported cards (unlike mine which is but i decided not to use the nVidia beta drivers) that this in fact does work. So all of you who want to see the glass effects make sure to back up your registry BEFORE you do this and check it out. IT should work for you too! Here is a screen shot to show you. Also forgot to mention this takes care of the display freezing problems i was having. I havent had my screen freeze at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom