Newbie computer questions AMD 2600...

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlelegs

Solid State Member
I haven't bought a new computer in years and need some advice. I went to a local computer shop and they gave me a quote on a computer. i told them i wanted to burn dvds and record stuff from tv onto my hard drive.
they gave me these specs...

AMD 2600+ Processor
512 MB DDR Memory 2700 speed
200 GB HArd drive
52x CDRW/ DVD ROM combo
4x DVD+-RW Sony DW U14a
1.4mb floppy
Shuttle AMD Main board with sound/ethernet
128 mb agp video card
TV tuner card
56k modem
tower case
windows xp home
keyboard, mouse and speakers
17" CRT monitor

All for $1100. Does this sound like a good deal? If i didnt put a brand name by the item, it means i don't know what the brand is. are some of these computer stores selling crappy generic stuff or is it all the same? I really want a good tv tuner card because i want high quality recordings and good software so i can schedule when to record tv shows.
any help you could give me i would appreciate.
thanks...
jon

i would reccommend a ati all in wonder series graphics card for a tv tuner. they have tons of features. id suggest the 9600AIW or 9700AIW for your budget

way overpriced for a POS. you can build a better one for about half that much. the only thing you need to have to make it do what you want is:

1) a pioneer DVD burner. get whatever the current model is or 1 below it.

2) at least xp2000 processor

3)at least 80 or 120GB hard disk. the more you record the more you need unless you plan to burn the recorded movies and delete them from hard disk.

4) if you plan to record of local channels you need a tv tuner. tv tuner cards generally have horrible quality. if your satelite or cable box has RCA (composite) outputs go to newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com and search for "vivo" (video in, video out) video cards. type vivo into the search box. they let you input RCA video. the image quality is close to DVD quality.

make sure thay the format they record from RCA inputs is DVD format. otherwise you will have to convert it. i know saphire technology makes vivo cards that do that , but newegg.com seems to be out of stock on all of them. thats very strange, .....maybe they are popular.

You could build one faster. I built mine for about $1100 (without monitor)

Shuttle XPC SB61G2 Case ( I LOVE IT!)
1024 MB Dual channel DDR400
P4 2.8 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB
120 GB SATA harddrive
Wireless Logitech Elite Duo
ATI All in Wonder 9700 Pro
Lite-on DVD +- RW

I use mine for the same thing you do. I love the shuttle case because it is so small I put it on top of my TV.

i was looking at the ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9000... it has 64 mb ram. is that enough to do video editing and burning to dvd? if i get that, i dont need a separate tv tuner card right?
also, can someone point me to a "how-to" site for building my own computer?

thanks...
noodlelegs

"arms of steel, legs of wheat"

The 9000 will work, but you should get a better one. The new ones have support for HD out and other cool features and are MUCH better for playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom