25gb USED!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hah2110

Solid State Member
I just reformatted my laptop. It is a compaq v2030us. It was a hard recovery and it wiped everything clean but for some reason the C: drive still had all of my old program folders in there even though they werent in my programs menu or the desktop. I installed all of my programs... maybe one gig MAX (spybot, gmail notifier, etc.) nothing major and then I went to do a disk defrag and it says free space is 29.5/55gb!!! This strikes me as VERY odd. I cant figure it out. I have a 60gb hard drive. I tried the temps, recycle bin, all the obvious stuff and I dont know where the rest is. Even before the recovery I didnt have that much. The recovery disk I used started from windows autoplay and then went to restart and go into that blue screen. Is it possible that windows partioned all my old files somewhere? Where would they have gone?

Thanks

Download a permanent deleter. Anything deleted is recoverable (with a recovery program) unless you permanently delete it. I don't know if this will fix ur problem, but it is worth a try.
BTW, did you do a quick format or a full format?

I have done reformats before- and never had this problem... i used the actual windows installation disk that came with my compaq to do a full clean install.... even before the reformat though i didnt have 25gb of data.... can someone tell me where this data is.

I just said, I did a full clean install. There was no quick or full persay. But I chose the one that should have wiped EVERYTHING clean. Even HP confirmed it

Are there any partitions on the hard drive? Does HP have one of those set up? What i mean is did HP partition your HDD and use that partition as your recovery disc? You might have to use FDisk and delete all partitions and then reformat.

Do a search result for file and folder and specify the size from 50MB to 100MB or more, maybe some large file will show up.

searching now, when i reformatted, there was only a 8mb partition... i really cant figure this out- besides no partition is 27gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom