Which processor/MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerZero

Baseband Member
Here's the deal: for various and sundry reasons, I'm having to replace my computer's motherboard and processor, most likely due to my putting high-drain hardware in it and trying to run it off the cruddy 250W PSU it came with. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I'm a broke college student, so I want to go cheap. I've decided to go with newegg.com, since I've heard mostly good things about them, and they're cheaper than CompUSA.

Here's an AMD Sempron I'm considering: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104210

A very attractive Celeron D: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112190

As for motherboards, there are so many choices . . . I'll leave it up to you guys to recommend something for my needs, if you would.

Here's what I do with my machine:

-Office-type tasks (word processing, spreadsheets, that stuff)
-Digital image editing (nothing overly heavy-duty - I swear by the [link=http://www.gimp.org/about/]GIMP[/link] since I can't afford Photoshop)
-Lots of streaming audio
-Games. The most graphically demanding thing I run right now is Warcraft III - I also own Unreal Tournament 2004, but I never play it because it runs too slow.

Point is, I'm not overclocking, not doing anything really heavy-duty - but I do want something that will be solid, reliable, and perform well over the years.

And before anyone suggests it, no, I can't afford the extra 200-300 bucks for an all-new box. Besides, I hate the thought of wasting all the perfectly good parts in my current comp.

Thanks in advance! :)

digital image editing is quite demanding graphics wise, you should probably save for a pretty high end system

LancerZero said:
Anyway, I'm a broke college student, so I want to go cheap. I've decided to go with newegg.com, since I've heard mostly good things about them, and they're cheaper than CompUSA.

monarchcomputer has better prices then newegg but i don't know a company that ships faster then newegg so if you can wait fot your parts definatly go with monarch.

Isn't normal AMD Athlon XP better than sempron's and celerons? if so, you should go for barton 2600+ like me.

Turtile: $$$=squat. Like, I won't spend more than $80 on the motherboard, and I've decided I want it to be backwards-compatible with my old AMD Duron Spitfire 750MHz processor, so I won't have to do it all at once. I'll worry about the processor later; for now, I need a new mobo.

Etch: Well, what I'm doing now works just fine on my Frankenstein's Monster cobbled-together machine, so I figure that even if I do more demanding stuff, anything even slightly faster should be adequate. Like I said, I'm only doing relatively light-duty digital editing, and since my mobo has issues I can't wait to save for a high-end system. I'm paying for community college, my car, etc. on $7/hour. It'd take me years. Wish I could, though! :)

ZeroStrife49: Put me in the "budget" category! Good info though, and may yet be useful.

GuitarFreak1857: I'll sure check it out, if it's cheaper.

Current comp stats:

AMD Duron Spitfire, running @ 751.4MHz
64KB L1 cache
128KB L2 cache
320MB PC100 RAM
350W Antec PSU

DVD-R
CD-RW
Floppy drive
20GB HD
8.4GB HD
AGP slot: ATI Radeon 7000
plus three PCI slots with a wi-fi card, an ethernet card, and a cheap 5.1 sound card.

Basically, I want to reuse everything except maybe the RAM, since the new mobo probably won't support such old stuff.

Gigabite: Unfortunately, the Athlon XP series costs more than I was wanting to spend. I'll keep an eye on it though; maybe by the time I can afford a new processor, they'll be cheap enough. (like, a month or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom