software for broadband users

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
Soon our household will be getting broadband internet - about time too. However, there are members of the household, i.e. my parents, that are concerned with the security of the PC and the type of content that can be viewed. So I'm looking for different opinions on which software is best for the following:

1) Firewall. Is the built in Windows one good enough? Can you get better versions that allow for more customisation?

2) Content blocking. I have been told that if some software could block certain websites, content, or download files, and not restrict others that would be good.

Preferably both pieces of software would be password protected and able to be used over multiple user accounts.

So, is there any good stuff out there?

1) No. ZoneAlarm is good, and free. I am using ComputerAssociates ezArmor, that has the pro version of ZoneAlarm.

2) Yeah. You can get content filters. Go with a good comercial one, not the free ones. But sure to use a password, and make it something that you kids won't guess.

You don't need to put a password on a firewall. You want it running all the time, period (especially with a broadband/always on connection).

Also, you're going to need a good antivirus suite. And that means something besides MacAfee or Norton. I recommend what I am running, but it ain't free (about $30 a year... well worth it).

some of the best firewalls IMO are in routers. if you get one with SPI and NAT, then there would have to be a really good hacker who really wants in to get in. I got a wireless router with SPI and NAT, and it blocks literally hundreds of hacker attempts a day
although as far as software firewalls go, Sygate is a good one

When you think about it NAT isn't all that safe, any network guru can tell what your local address especially for home user. The famous class c address 192.168.1.0 use by linksys and 2.0 by belkin and so fourth. It just make it longer for the hacker. Just my thought anyone care to add?

If you are going broadband, you need a better firewall than the windows one. As Trotter says, Zone alarm is very good (the free is okay, but I recommend you get the pro, I did and don't regret it)

Law said:
When you think about it NAT isn't all that safe, any network guru can tell what your local address especially for home user. The famous class c address 192.168.1.0 use by linksys and 2.0 by belkin and so fourth. It just make it longer for the hacker. Just my thought anyone care to add?
NAT is really just to turn some people away if they can't be bothered, but SPI is really powerful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom