External hard drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiffie23

Solid State Member
Hoping some one could shed some light on this (iomega couldn't).
I have an 120gb iomega external harddrive, I wanted to clean up my old computer by taking it back to factory settings so I disconnected my external harddrive and proceeded with the formatting.

When that was completed I plugged in the external hard drive - usually a little balloon would pop up and a poping sound saying new hardware found blah blah (XP). I'm getting the popping sound but not the balloons saying it's detected. When I go into safely remove hardware it is listed in there.

I can see the drive in disc management but there is no drive letter and it won't let me assign one (the options to do that when right mouse click over drive is not there only "help" is).

The actual external drive itself is humming along when i turn it on and starts up and sounds normal.

I took it and tried on another 2 computers and the same thing was happening. I don't understand how this would have happened as i did everything safely and being plug and play it should just work!!???

I had a few important pictures on the hard drive and all i really care about now is getting them off, to have the hard drive working again would be an added bonus.

Tried with firewire and usb
Model number DHD120-C

I'm pretty much a novice so any help would be fantastic - the drive is now out of warrenty.

Tiff

It was just after I installed sp2 that i had problems with the computer so that's when i decided to re-format to original factory settings. The original computer was bare.

nitestick...your line of thinking is making sense in terms of what was happening at the time....what do you think it could be?

We just bought a new computer about a month ago and it does the same thing in that one...... :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom