Mailing a computer safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpfalcon

Solid State Member
ok, so I recently came to my college, and I want a desktop computer. The thing is that my college is halfway across the country, and I fly home. So, the only way I can get my computer back home at the end of the semester is to mail it. Would this be safe? Or are there like safe ways to do this? All the usual, fedex, ups is availiable. Bringing a computer here wouldnt be too much of a problem, since I am going to build it in my dorm.

Yeah man. Just get insurance on the package if you are worried. The default insurance coverage (free) is probably like for $100. If you want full coverage, it might like cost you 1% of the value of your system. Don't really know how the shipping is in the US. But for a computer, in Canada, it will prolly cost like $80 Cdn I would think..

well, as in safe, i meant like, would parts of the computer like break off , or hard drive fail, after the handling and stuff

I sent a computer from california to boston via UPS...had no problems...only thing was (which I anticipated and told the customer) was that the heatsink fan may fall off...but it was because it was a thermalright heatsink in which it holds the fans on via little clips and those came loose....everything else was fine and he still has the computer running strong which I sent a year ago...just make sure everything is screwed in on both sides, the hard drives and CD roms and whatnot..

If you had a leadtek 6800GT I'd be paranoid though because the heatsinks on those are massive and honestly I wouldn't want it flopping around in the case and possibly breaking...this dude had a 9600XT so it was real light and such concerns weren't a problem

hpfalcon said:
well, as in safe, i meant like, would parts of the computer like break off , or hard drive fail, after the handling and stuff

Yeah sorry about that. :). Answered the wrong question..

I think Nubius pretty much covered it. The heatsink is definitely what would worry me. Especially those massive mothers that are like 1kg heavy. Even the heatsink manuals tells you to be careful when you move the case.

I would actually put a label on it that says "this side up" when you package the damn thing in. If the heatsink is like right above an expensive video card, you might actually wanna take it out and place it somewhere else.. :confused:.. You never know.. :)

Remember the "Fragile" label obviously.

charles_scott said:
hmm.... Probably not a great idea but fill it with them foam pebel things?

IS a good idea. Like the ones FedEx and Newegg ship in. They're hell to get rid of, but they holy your stuff down.

lol filling the case with it...I can just imagine him being excited about seeing his computer, forgetting about them inside and turning it on...but yeah, as you said, I'm pretty sure static would be an issue there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom