RAM QUESTION: What's the advantage of....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Using DDR600 with a MOBO that supports up to DDR400? I know that they will be automatically underclocked, but is there some advantage of using ram of this speed for overclocking purposes?

Yeah, it is for OC'ing. Your right that it will be underclocked to DDR400 stock, but with a ranking of DDR600, you can go 300HTT at 1:1 before you are techically OC'ing the RAM.

idiotec said:
Yeah, it is for OC'ing. Your right that it will be underclocked to DDR400 stock, but with a ranking of DDR600, you can go 300HTT at 1:1 before you are techically OC'ing the RAM.

So with next build, should I go DDR600 with my sig specs? I'm planning on OCin' it. Hopefully I can get the FX-57 to about 3.0+Ghz. I'm not much into OCin' but I think this machine begs to be OC'ed. OR should I go DDR400 with low timings... I already have the ram in my sig... which i know is good for OCin' i'm just wondering if there is an advantage to going faster rated ram over lower timings...

Nubuis?

I wouldn't waste the money on new RAM already having the rev. 2's.

At 2GB it is very unlikely they will reach DR600, but that's no big deal. Shoot, with the FX you have completely unlocked multi's, so OC'ing the CPU w/o the RAm is no problem at all. But still, you could still get a decent OC out of the Rev. 2's.

idiotec said:
I wouldn't waste the money on new RAM already having the rev. 2's.

At 2GB it is very unlikely they will reach DR600, but that's no big deal. Shoot, with the FX you have completely unlocked multi's, so OC'ing the CPU w/o the RAm is no problem at all. But still, you could still get a decent OC out of the Rev. 2's.

Yeah, I wasn't really planning on buying the DDR600, I was really just curious. I haven't done too much OCin' and don't claim to know too much about it. I've heard that OCin' (2GIG) is pretty difficult though. But, at the same time, I really like having (2) GIG in my systems.
BUt, if i decide to OC should I remove (2x512MB) and OC with (2x512)?

Oh, I don't have the FX57 yet... But I will sometime in OCTOBER... I've got a hefty "Settlement Check" coming from a car accident 3 years ago and i'm going to build a MONSTER... I've got all the components checked in my sig... I'm just waiting to purchase the rest.

Also, since ATI is releasing the X1800XT's october 5th... I might consider going crossfire... If it proves to be better then 7800GTX's

woot woot woot!!!

Idiotec pretty much covered everything nicely.

You've got nice RAM as it is so you should just see how far those will go, but with 2gb that'd limit how high you could go.

2gb of DDR600 of course would guarantee you that 2gb to be running at 300HTT which would be really nice, but also really expensive and changes are really loose ass timings to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom