Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
im planning on building this:

athlong 64 x2 4800+
2gigs pc3200
2x300gig sata 300 (reduntant array)
two sli geforce 7800s
gigabyte motherboard (haven't decided which one)

anyway, heres my question:

can i turn SLI on and off without changing hardware?
i havent used SLI before, and from what i read, SLI is good sometimes and bad other times. in my case, i plan on playing doom 3 at 1280x1024 ultra quality and 8x aa, 16x af, so it will be good for me there, but when i play halflife two, the reviews i've read it will be bad, and it'd be better to use just one 7800, so thats my question, i want to make presets where doom 3 enables it and halflife 2 disables it.

thanks for any help

the general

With later versions of Forceware, once the SLI hardware has been recognised you can just select 'Auto Select' in the control panel (under global settings) which should use the best known (by the team who build the drivers) configuration for a particular .exe; i.e if HL2 performs better with a single card it will automatically adjust (effectively disable the slave card) accordingly. Otherwise you can just manually adjust the configuration in the control panel before you play, and add new profiles and adjust them accordingly.

So no, you don't have to touch your hardware every time you run a non-SLI game :).

Not all games are compatible with nVidia SLI, HL2/CS:S being two of them, along with Far Cry too. Only one GPU (master) will be used, the second (slave) will be disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom