trying to reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz202

Baseband Member
I've been trying to reformat my hard drive in order to do a fresh install of Win98 for some time now. I finally got everything copied that I wanted. There were many instances of the computer freezing before I could get all the files copied. Then I tried to reboot from the floppy. No luck, it would just boot from the hard drive like usual. I figured maybe my floppy was dead so I got one from a guy I work with. At that time he told me to just put in my win98 cd rom and format from there. He said he has done this twice just recently. I thought what the hey, it's worth a try. The thing is it did the same thing as before, just boots from the hard drive. I changed the boot sequence around, even to the point of making my cd rom the first, second and third device to boot from. I'm not sure where to turn next, I have the new floppy to try as well as a couple of smaller hard drives my co worker gave me. Should I try installing these and start from there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

You can't FDISK if the only bootable drive is the hard drive. Is the windows 98se cdrom from MS? If not or unless you copied it form Alcohol 120% or similar it will not be bootable. Once in the Cmos you should be able to define the first bot deivice as your ATAPI device..CDRom. But if you get the floppy to work for you, enable the floppy as the first boot device>FDISK>remove primary dos partition>create new primary DOS partition>format FAT 32>install 98SE.

My win98se cdrom is from MS. It doesn't matter how I set the order of the boot devices it still boots from the hard drive. I will try installing the new floppy and see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom