Windows XP - CDRW installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

frd

Solid State Member
I installed a Philips CD rewriter model PBRW5224 and encountered two problems:
1) the CDRW installs itself between my two harddrives and becomes D drive: I want it to become drive E instead. How can I do that?
2) Although the rewriter is supposed to handle high speed and ultra speed media it gives me an error message when I enter this kind of media. It does write to multispeed 4x cd's though. XP recognized the hardware and automatically installed it but when I look under properties it says it is a Philips CDD 7052. I presume it is a driver problem. If so, where can I find the proper driver? BTW I have Nero 6 as burning software.
TIA. Francois

Part 1) A pretty easy fix

1. go to Start, then run. Type compmgmt.msc . Scroll down to Disk Management. Find your burner, and and then right click, choose Change drive letters and paths. From there, you can click change, and choose the drive letter from the unassigned ones in the list.

Do the same process to your HDD, changing it back to D:. Then, you can
Reinstate the burner as E: again.
( If anyone sees another way, give me a buzz)

Part II...
What, in exact wording, is the error message?

Thanks,

I'll try that and get back to you with the exact error message (I'm using my laptop now).

1) the drive letter change worked beautifully. Thanks

2) When I insert a blank (new) Philips CD-RW80 4-12 speed 700 Mb disk into my machine it automatically launches InCD and open the Format dialog box (only option available is full format). When I press Start I get an InCD error on Drive E:\ message saying: "Error writing the disc in E:\. Please confirm that the disc is compatible with the drive and is not scratched or damaged.

Have to write that one down ecniv. I just knew the computer management one.

You say that it writes perfectly to the four-speed CD's. What is the make and capacity of those CD's?

Have you disabled the Windows Burning Software? If not, try right-clicking on your drive, go to the Recording tab and click off "Enable Recording on this drive". This makes it so that windows won't have total control over the drive.

The other cd-rw disks are TDK 4x multispeed 650Mb 74 min and they do work but I want to use the high-speed writing capability of my new drive

The windows burning software is disabled.

Maybe you can write at full-speed, just step down the capacity from 700 to 650.

Since the IN-CD software is packet-writing, I don't know how that changes the capacity and speed you can write on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom