The Sound Aspect

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't put the subwoofer in the corner. He can't put it under a desk. He can't put it in the other corner because of shelves. Yes, ideally you want the center channel right in front of you.... That room set-up really doesn't give you much of a chance to do much... If the desk was in the middle it would be fine. BUt it's not. So he has to do whatever he can... Hence my "NOOB" Photochopped setup.

DJ CHRIS, you're the self proclaimed audio expert. Show us a drawing of how you'd set up that room, without moving the desk or PC... huh?

Oh by the way DJ CHRIS... you can't do a ceiling mount with the z-5500's first of all. There's no way to mount the speakers. Second of all removal of the Speaker stands voids the warranty, specifically stated in the warranty itself...

Try again...

Well he's pretty screwed honestly, their is only so much you can do. This is why I didnt post in this thread first thing.

If i was forced, I would probolly would move the left, right and center close together, really close to the monitor for it to sound proper. Nothing else better to really do.

And yes placing the sub in a corner is a good idea, gets a little +3db boost for lower sounds on average.

Man, the b*tch is I can't move the desk, its implanted against that wall amongst the same platform as those shelves....Damn.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to do what I can and give you an update with what happens. Those looking for a review of the speakers will get it.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Oh by the way DJ CHRIS... you can't do a ceiling mount with the z-5500's first of all. There's no way to mount the speakers. Second of all removal of the Speaker stands voids the warranty, specifically stated in the warranty itself...

Try again...

Here's my try, my roommate has these speakers and he was able to MOUNT them ON THE WALL. I know this because they are MOUNTED ON THE WALL and i helped him do this. you just mount through the holes in the stands, its simple and you don't have to do anything crazy. I'm 98% sure his speaker wires can't be changed by the average user also. Ok maybe not that sure but just by looking at the back of the speaker i thought it was mounted directly into it??? :eek: oh well i think the speaker wires aren't the main issue now. :)

What kind of extension am I looking at for the two rear speakers (even if you don't think I need them, what would the extention be)?

I don't know, mine came with (5) detached sets of speaker wires. Each set was of a heavy gauge. Also the tips of the wires are soldered to prevent fraying. And the wires are long as hell...

Well, now that I look at the speaker stands... I guess you could mount them through the holes in the feet of the stand. Yeah, i was wrong you could mount them as they have.

I think the only way this would be good is if you ran the wires up into the ceiling/attic or were able to hide them properly. In my situation, I can not do this were I live, I don't have these options.

Ok so I got everything set up.

Logitech z-5500 speakers and the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic soundcard.

Z-5500's
Creative X-Fi

Awesome. Thats the only way to start what I have to say about these things. I have them set up in my basement with the gaming computer in my signature. Two rear are mounted upsidedown and the three in front of my are arranged accordingly. The base.... well its under the desk and as far away from the comp and monitor i can keep it, but right next to the two-by-four supporting my house in the basement. GOOD GOD this thing puts out! Battlefield is FREAKING INSANE!!!

The control center has a couple different modes, from basic channels to music, video, and stereo modes. The remote is basic but definately capable.

I originally installed the speakers off of my motherboards 7.1 sound, then an Audigy 4 card, and finally this X-Fi. And the X-Fi is definately noticably better.

The software for the X-Fi is also very good.

The stalites may look small, but they some how put out great powerful sound. The bass will give you everything you need. And above all, no matter of on full blast, the sound is PURE.

NOTICE FOR USERS, CURRENT AND FUTURE

I've made the mistake many people have over the internet. Trying to mount the rear speakers, or any of the satalites for that matter, is a real B*tch. Plainly put, it just is. You would think to remove the base of the speakers because its almost impossible to angle everything correctly... BUT DON'T!!! If you remove the base you let loose a nut inside of the speakers that is unreachable, and this is a real pain in the ass. Everyone on the internet that does this gives up and can't open the speakers, plus when you unscrew the ONE screw, you void your ENTIRE warrenty...So, if you decide to try unscrewing the base, I've figured out how to get that damn nut out. Take off the protective speaker screens, and you will see the four rubber stoppers that hold it in. Use tweezers to remove the rubber holds and you will find screwes (different on my satalites mind you), which you can unscrew. Whala! take them off and you're introtuced to the interior of your speakers, and check out the magnets in them!

Anyways, I picked mine up from the tiger direct outlet store a little down the road for 270 and it was an awesome deal. They blow the Klipch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra's out of the water.

EDIT::
HAVOC2k5 said:

Just to be clear, i did ceiling mount the speakers. Also yes, you're right it does void the warrenty.

Sounds like a nice setup. I know rotating the speaker stands can give you better angles when mounting but it's still a pain. It took my roommate and myself to mount the speakers near the ceiling, we aren't the smartest though, haha. :)

Get the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers, they are a little more expensive than the z5500s, but it's worth it. They have a much better subwoofer. This is coming from a guy who has had experience with both systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom